It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC 4 and IBM i Converter

Len Stockdale (1412123) | asked Dec 17 '12, 7:26 a.m.
Hello

After discovering that the IBM i does not support the converter, I found that I could set up a delegated converter on an TOMCAT server/pc.

I therefore set up TOMCAT on my PC and installed the CONVERTER.WAR file.

I changed the fronting.properties file in /qibm/UserData/JazzTeamServer40/server/conf/rm

See the change below.

I commented out the original line and inserted a new one, pointing at the server containing TOMCAT.  My iSeries can ping the TOMCAT.CONVERTER server with no issues.

#com.ibm.rdm.fronting.server.ConverterURL=https\://demortc4i.binarycomputer.co.uk\:29443/converter/htmlgen
com.ibm.rdm.fronting.server.ConverterURL=https\://TOMCAT.CONVERTER\:8080/converter/htmlgen

I then restarted my Jazz Server.  When I tried to create/load a new artifact e.g. Use Case diagram I still get the CRRRW8010E error message.

I couldn't find an log in RRC/RTC to tell me result of loading the converter but I'm assuming it had failed. When I checked my TOMCAT logs I found the following in the localhost log.

Throwable occurred: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/ibm/rdm/web/htmlgen/convert/ConvertedResource
    at com.ibm.rdm.web.htmlgen.servlet.ConverterServlet.doGet(ConverterServlet.java:46)

Can anyone help please. Has TOMCAT loaded the converted correctly?  If so how do I check what RRC is doing when it is trying to load the converter.

Thanks

Len

One answer

permanent link
Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11623) | answered Dec 17 '12, 12:39 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Len
Have you followed the instructions in this article?
https://jazz.net/library/article/1089/#Tomcat_Application_Server_Install_

Let's check some things out.

(1) the fronting.properties file modification is to be done on server 1 (where RM is installed), not server 2 (where converter is deployed).

(2) Did you deploy the correct converter.war for your local system: windows or Linux?  How did you get the converter.war?

Excerpt from article:

Before installing the Converter application, the converter.war file must be made available on the server to which it is being installed.  There are two versions of the converter.war; one for Windows and one for Linux platforms.  HOW DO WE TELL THEM APART?  There are two recommended methods for accomplishing this:

• Copy the converter.war file from the server where the RM application has been installed.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT use this method if the RM system is Unix / Linux based and the converter system is Window (or vice-versa). 

• Download the converter application for the specific platform (Windows or Linux) from Jazz.net.

Comments
Len Stockdale commented Dec 20 '12, 5:22 a.m.

Rosa

thanks for your answer.

I changed the fronting.properties file on the RM server (server 1).  I got the converter from the IBM i server that the RM was installed on.

Thanks

Len

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.