It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

dependency build + submit of JCL in translator?

Bernd van Oostrum (21725371) | asked Nov 30 '12, 11:01 a.m.
edited Nov 30 '12, 11:03 a.m.
I’m wondering if I can submit a JCL using a translator and let it wait for the submitted JCL to come back after execution.
I know .submitJCL is supported as part of a “Command Line - Rational Build Agent”, but I would like to use the features of a dependency build.

Regards,
Bernd.

One answer

permanent link
Robin Bobbitt (59679) | answered Nov 30 '12, 2:23 p.m.
Hi Bernd,

You can configure your translator to call a REXX script that invokes the JCL, waits for it to complete, pulls the return code from the job log, and returns it. There are many examples out there of scripts that make use of the outtrap function to get the job name and check the job status.

You will need to configure the translator with a proper SYSLIB and indicate the build outputs business as usual in order to make the dependency build work. You will also likely need to take advantage of the @{source.member.name} and @{source.dataset} variables to tell your REXX script what source needs to be built.

As always you will need to test this thoroughly to be sure there are no undesirable side effects that might result from this implementation (e.g. problems due to spinning in the REXX script waiting for the JCL to finish).

Robin

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.