It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Comparing two snapshots which are created before and after remove a component, the result shows no difference

Lily Wang (4.9k714) | asked Oct 16 '12, 10:01 p.m.
I created a snapshot on a stream, then remove a component from the stream and created the second snapshot.

When I selected both the fist and the second snapshots, and run "Compare with each other", in the Change Explorer, the result is empty which means no difference.

But when I chose the first snapshot, and click "Compare with" and select the second snapshot, the result showed the component I removed.

Does anyone know why the "Compare with each other" can not show the difference? Thanks.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 17 '12, 1:04 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Are you sure that you have selected the same "mode" in the Change Explorer?   In particular, if the mode is "show change sets", you shouldn't see any differences.  But if the mode is "show files", then you should see the fact that the component has been removed.   (You set the mode of the view in the tool bar of the view).   The reason change sets are not show for removed/added components is that this would logically require showing all change sets in the history of the removed/added component, which isn't what one normally expects from a "compare".
Lily Wang selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Lily Wang commented Oct 17 '12, 2:45 a.m.

Thanks for your answer. After I selected the 'show files' mode, I can see the difference.
However when I compared the snapshots using the "Compared with" when selected the first snapshot and then second snapshot, I could still see the difference in "show change sets" mode.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Oct 17 '12, 10:03 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Interesting ... it didn't do that for me in my testing.   How was the addition/removal of the component displayed in "show change sets" mode?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.