It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using RTC SCM for managing versions of RMC content

Ana Lopez-Mancisidor (25648967) | asked Oct 16 '12, 11:39 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

Has anyone used RTC 4.0 SCM features to version RMC 7.5.2 content? Any recommendations? The only info I have found available regarding this integration is the old URL at: http://jazzpractices.wordpress.com/2011/03/03/how-to-use-rtc-scm-for-rmc-content-development/

RMC help suggests to use ClearCase, Synergy or CVS but it does not mention anything about using RTC.. Is this integration supported?

Many thanks,

Ana

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 18 '12, 4:32 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Ana,

in general you can use Jazz SCM to version those files. There is a catch. You should lock all the files you want to modify.The issue is that merging is probably impossible and Jazz SCM does not provide a pessimistic locking mde yet. I forwarded your question to someone in my team who could probably answer better or get someone who can to look at it.

permanent link
Jim Ruehlin (79114) | answered Oct 18 '12, 5:54 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I agree with Ralph's comments. In addition, you should keep the SCM component with the RMC content in a single stream for added protection. 

The RTC SCM for RMC is supported. But RTC is based on optimistic locking, and RMC needs a pessimistic model because there is no automated way to merge the RMC XMI files. So you need to manually lock the files when you want to modify them. Most importantly, get a lock on the plugin.xmi file if you're going to be modifying anything inside a plugin, just to be safe.

While not ideal, this model is usually acceptable for RMC development due to the usage model that is most often used in RMC development.

The RMC folks are working on a more robust solution to this. In the meantime, you might want to look at the CLM 2012 Process Enactment Workshop.  Lab 1 describes how to set up a process development environment, including using RTC to manage RMC content.

Comments
Jim Ruehlin commented Jan 28 '13, 12:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

See http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rmchelp/v7r5m2/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rmc.help.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_jazz_sc_overview.html. The latest version of RMC now provides pessimistic locking when using RTC for SCM.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.