It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to remove a lock on a deleted file?

Peter Suurküla (312) | asked Sep 20 '12, 9:14 a.m.
edited Sep 16 '16, 9:00 a.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
Hi,I am trying to modify the baseline of a stream, but one of the components refuses the modification: RTC says  there is a locked file in the current baseline. It may be right, because when I search for locks in the source-control of the web-interface, I have a list of <unknown> (or rather <inconnu> in french), and the tooltip indicates that they are in the concerned stream - but I'm not able to unlock them.
 - Is there a way to unlock these files?
 - Is there a way to overrule the error I get when trying to change the baseline?

FYI, we're still using RTC 3.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Oct 01 '12, 1:45 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
It is possible from the Eclipse client if you cannot release locks from the web UI.

Search > Jazz Source Control > Locks

You can search for your own locks or those owned by someone else. From the search results, you can remove locks. This works on files already deleted.
Peter Suurküla selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Peter Suurküla commented Oct 02 '12, 9:00 a.m.

Great, thanks, that's exactely what I was looking for!

2 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Sep 20 '12, 10:39 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Peter,

in general you should be able to unlock files. I found in the Web UI (in 4.0) no direct way to do it.

I searched for the locks and then I had do go to each file to unlock it. In general, if you seem to be unable to do it, try with the Eclipse client. You need to have the permission to be able to remove other people's locks.

I found https://jazz.net/forum/questions/45495/unlock-files which might be of interest.

Comments
Peter Suurküla commented Sep 20 '12, 11:58 a.m.

Hi Ralph, Thanks for your quick answer. Unfortunately I wasn't clear enough in my question: I've already done what you discribed (and ran into the same trouble with not being able to unlock the files from the Web UI, but had to do it in Eclipse), and it worked fine for all files that were still within the Eclipse project. Nevertheless, there are still files that are marked as locked within the Web UI, but that have been deleted from the Eclipse project. Hence, I cannot unlock them from within Eclipse... That's why it would have been nice to be able to unlock them from within the Web UI.

Anu other idea? Regards Peter

permanent link
Peter Suurküla (312) | answered Oct 01 '12, 4:45 a.m.
 Just an update: The only solution I found was to create another stream. Not a nice one, so if anyone has another solution, please let us know.

Comments
Ian Wark commented Sep 15 '16, 12:36 a.m.

I looked at the code for the <unknown> locks. First it will look up all the locks for the selected user. Then it will see if they exist under SCM control e.g. a repository workspace. If the lock doesn't exist under SCM control i.e. has no version, it will call it <unknown>. So it is possible that the locks are for files in a sandbox that were never checked in. In that case, if you right-click the locks in the Eclipse client there would not be any history. The other big possibility is that the files did have a version, but were deleted. In that case the <unknown> lock would have a history.

This doesn't help to delete the locks, but maybe it helps a little to understand what is happening.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.