It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC: SCM: In a component, how to move uploaded files into a project

George Harada (32213) | asked Nov 29 '16, 8:34 p.m.
edited Nov 30 '16, 1:32 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
I am looking to achieve the following:
Moving files between components while maintaining history.  (steps are included in the answer by Geoffrey Clemm)
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/125188/why-does-moving-files-between-components-not-maintain-history

The first two steps are as follows:
- create a dummy project and share it into your component.
- do a regular move of the things you want to move into that dummy project

I am not able to do the 'regular move of the things you want to move'.
The file I want to move is not a project, just ordinary files and folders. (I will call it File A)
In Eclipse client, when I look at the package explorer, it only shows projects, so File A doesn't appear, hence I cannot move them.
In Eclipse client, when I right click a component and click 'show'>'repository files', I can see all the files including File A. However in this view I cannot move files whether right click or drag/drop.
In Web client, when I show the contents of the components, I can see all files, however there is no option to move files around.

(I have also checked this forum post where similar steps are provided:
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/228403/scm-move-a-file-without-loosing-history-into-another-folder-in-same-component?redirect=%2Fforum%2Fquestions%2F228403%2Fscm-move-a-file-without-loosing-history-into-another-folder-in-same-component
Although likewise there is just the recommendation of moving files into a dummy project, but not how)

Am I overlooking something? What does this 'regular move' mean and how do I do it?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 30 '16, 4:55 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Nov 30 '16, 4:58 a.m.
To see a file in Eclipse, that file must be in an Eclipse project.   So create a .project file somewhere above the files you want to refactor.   Or you can just use the "scm move" command line command, and then you don't have to bother with Eclipse projects.
George Harada selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
George Harada commented Dec 02 '16, 3:02 a.m.

Thank you.
I tried that, but it seems the file history is not maintained.

I also tried Deepali's step in the 3rd answer of this post:
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/228403/scm-move-a-file-without-loosing-history-into-another-folder-in-same-component?redirect=%2Fforum%2Fquestions%2F228403%2Fscm-move-a-file-without-loosing-history-into-another-folder-in-same-component

that is, using 'load the root folders of the components as project'. However likewise the history doesn't seem to be maintained.
I am still not sure whether that means I am doing the wrong type of move, or history won't be maintained through a move.

George Harada commented Dec 26 '16, 1:22 a.m.

Problem solved after trying different combinations of moves, using Eclipse client and SCM commands.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.