It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

schedule taking a plan snapshot

Willy Dhondt (5821123) | asked Aug 24 '12, 5:40 a.m.
I was recently talking with a customer who is deploying RTC 4 about using the taskboard plan view during scrum meetings in replacement of the paper post-it taskboard they currently use. During this conversation we talked about using plan snapshots to monitor the evolution of the taskboard. The question arose if it would be possible to schedule a daily schedule plan snapshot creation for a given plan, so that the Scrum Master would not have to click the "Create Snapshot" button every day.

I did not find it in the Web or  Eclipse UI.
Thanks for advising if such feature is available in RTC 4.x .

Accepted answer

permanent link
Richard Knaster (23817) | answered Oct 12 '12, 12:40 a.m.
Hi Willy:

This feature is not available in RTC 4.x.  See this article for more information on Snapshots: https://jazz.net/library/article/658/

A plan snapshot captures the current state of a plan, the work items in the plan and their workflow state and schedule (dates), the team area that owns the plan, and the iteration that the plan is created for. You can manage snapshots on the Snapshots tab of the Plan view.  The snapshot was originally designed to be used by the Formal Project Management Template and not to monitor changes in the state of the taskboard.  I could see how this could be useful, however, the team should be conducting a Daily Scrum Meeting and answer the following three questions:
  1. What did you do yesterday?
  2. What will you do today?
  3. Are there any impediments in your way?
You do not want the tool to become a replacement for the Daily communication between the team.

The snapshot feature was not designed to be used on a daily basis to monitor changes.  There is a workaround that could be done by writing a small program with the Java XML API and scheduling a job on the server to run on the server daily.  However, I do not recommend it and since the snapshots were not meant to done daily, this could result in unexpected system behaviors, such as performance issues.

Regards,
Richard Knaster
IBM Chief Agile Methodologist
Willy Dhondt selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Tuan Nguyen Minh commented Sep 25 '14, 6:25 a.m.

Hi Richard,

Could you please give me some hint about the program with Java XML API to do this job? We are looking for an automatic way to create plan snapshot of Product backlog every 1/2 weeks to see how the backlog evolve.
What is the API you're talking about? Is it RTC specific? It's great if sample code is available. Thank you.

ps: we're using RTC 4.0.6 now.

One other answer

permanent link
Tuan Nguyen Minh (691321) | answered Sep 25 '14, 10:27 p.m.
Hi there, this question was asked 2 years ago, does anybody have the solution for it now?
Thanks!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.