It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Repotools -export and -import duration?

Dustan Daniel (3921823) | asked Aug 20 '12, 11:19 a.m.
retagged Aug 21 '12, 10:42 a.m. by Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11723)
I am preparing for an upgrade from CLM 3.0.1.1 to CLM 4.0 and have seen from references on Jazz and other sources, e.g. https://jazz.net/library/content/docs/repo-migration/index.html, that the repotools -export and subsequent import can take a long time. I need to ensure downtime is kept as minimal as possible.

Can anyone provide me an estimate based on previous experience of how long this repotools process may take. My MS SQL DB sizes are as follows:

Jazz_CCM_PRD - 32 GBs
Jazz_JTS_PRD - 4 GBs
Jazz_QM_PRD - 21GBs

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Aug 20 '12, 11:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

please go through the interactive upgrade guide: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/roadmap_clm_upgrade.html

As far as I am aware the repotools export/import was required if upgrading to 3.x. To upgrade to 4.0 from 3.x you don't need to do an export and import, unless you migrate to another DBMS.
Dustan Daniel selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Dustan Daniel commented Aug 20 '12, 11:52 a.m.

Hi Ralph, thanks for the quick response. I have gone thru the upgrade script files and have seen that repotools is not used. Only tables to QM, RM, CCM and JTS databases repositories are added. And it is advised to backup the DB before beginning the upgrade using normal MS SQL Server backup processes.

Just out of curiosity, do u know how long a repotools-ccm -export would take with a 32GB DB?

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 20 '12, 4:24 p.m.

Hi Dustan, I don't really know but I will pass this to people who might. I think that during the 3.0.1.x upgrade most managed to do it over the weekend, but it took a considerable amount of time. There was an attempt to speed up the export and import too, but it will always be an expensive operation.

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 21 '12, 3:33 a.m.

Hi Dusdan, I have seen data that shows that you should be able to export/import your 30 GB over a weekend. So, if you need to, you could do a 2 step approach and split the big chunks across two weekends.

Rosa Naranjo commented Aug 21 '12, 10:38 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

In order to minimize the time of a repotools -export, perform the export on the same machine as the db. However, as Ralph has mentioned, a repotools -export and -import is no longer part of the upgrade process starting with the 3x to 4 upgrade.

One other answer

permanent link
Dustan Daniel (3921823) | answered Feb 26 '14, 9:33 a.m.
edited Feb 26 '14, 9:35 a.m.
Since I posted this initial question, some news to give others a rough idea of what to expect. We recently migrated DB Vendors from SQL to Oracle.
SQL DB tar Sizes and export times running all exports in parallel
JTS - 6GB, 6hours
CCM - 53GB, 14 hours
QM - 30GB, 30 hours

Import Times running in parallel:
JTS - 3h hours
CCM - 13 hours
QM - 12 hours

We barely managed to complete the DB Migration over the course of the weekend.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.