It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Build Forge 7.1.3 CRRBF0158I Unable to set user account to system on win2008

Marc Towersap (481711) | asked Jul 05 '12, 5:39 p.m.
edited Jul 05 '12, 6:30 p.m.
I have BF 7.1.3 installed as a standalone (was testing it out before adding remote agents).  I installed it (backend db is MS SQL Server 2008 R2).  I have not enabled SSL nor any active directory stuff, just creating regular users, which I see updating in my build database (select * from dbo.bf_users gives me the users I created (in addition to root)).  the database seems to be working.

I installed the agent, then set up the corresponding server Auth (tried three different users that are in my bf_users table, including root with good and incorrect passwords (was seeing if it would give login errors over bad passwords, nope).  I created a collector with a known environment variable that exists on my win2008 server (JAVA_HOME) just as a test.

Then i created the server I named main, good path, host of localhost, collector with my play collector, authentication one of the good server-auth entries, password encryption disabled, files none, access developer, ssl enabled NO, max jobs 3.  When I test the connection, I see the manifest generated, but then I get Authentication failure, CRRBF0158I: Unable to set user account to system error (root).  I tried different server-auths, auths with known bad passwords, same error.

I uninstalled the agent, tested it out again, got a different error associated with the missing agent, then re-installed it, and I get back the same error.  Error logs don't help (db.log has nothing associated with this error, just the standard messages (LickMgr with user license validated, various setting startup config parameters, engine started msg, etc.), Build Forge\Apache\logs has PHP Notices about undefined variable (id), error_log complains about a missing graphic (public/images/icons/step_). Build Forge\Apache\tomcat\logs has a catalina.2012-07-05 that has the same stacktrace i see when I'm testing.

I'm guessing it's trying to set the user account to 'system', but I'm not sure.  All I know is my standalone BF isnt' working.

Am I missing something, cause I've been following the pdf for installing.

5 answers

permanent link
David Brauneis (50611) | answered Jul 06 '12, 3:56 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I would recommend that you review the following TechNote:

permanent link
David Brauneis (50611) | answered Jul 06 '12, 1:04 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Does the User that the Agent is running as have the permissions to switch to another user?

permanent link
Marc Towersap (481711) | answered Jul 06 '12, 3:34 p.m.
edited Jul 06 '12, 3:47 p.m.
I don't know.  How do I check?  remember, this is windows, not unix. I didn't enable cygwin, it's installed as a service using the default port (5555)

Note I've set the BF_AGENT_DEBUG=1 and BF_SERVERTEST_DEBUG=1, then ran bfservertest.exe main, and I get the same error message, nothing new that I see.

I just see Status: FAILURE_AUTHENTICATION
I see AuthRunningAs["SYSTEM", NT AUTHORITY",*WinSidUser]
then a bunch of AuthPriv's, then lastly a
AUTH AuthFail[*AuthSystemError,"root"]

com.buildforge.services.common.api.APIExcetipon: CRRBF0158I: Unable to set user acocount to system error (root)

then the rest of the stacktrace.

permanent link
Marc Towersap (481711) | answered Jul 06 '12, 5:02 p.m.
edited Jul 06 '12, 5:09 p.m.
I wished whoever wrote that pdf would hand it to newbie people who never used buildforge, a windows and a unix person, tell them to follow this pdf and see where you get stuck, then re-write it so these issues won't happen.  For instance, I see in chapter 17 Server, you would get stuck in creating a server, because you haven't done the server auth yet (later on in chapter 17).  Not quite a circular dependency, but you can't go from step 1 to 2, more like step 1 to 4 to 2.

Anyhoo, I am trying it as myself, using my login as a new Server auth (note I am also a member of administrators). I went to Control Panel -Administrative tools -> Local Security Policy -> Local Policies, in user rights assignment, I added myself (myDOMAIN\me) to
* Act as part of operating system,
* Adjust memory quotas for a process,
* Allow log on locally,
* Impersonate a client after authentication,
* Log on as a service, and
* replace a process level token.

I then bounced both BF agent and console, and re-started the system test, and still nothing (only now I'm unable to set user account to system error (me)

where me is my username that I log in as on the server.  Now, that failed, but when I changed my server auth to
myDOMAIN\me

Then I get a different error (progress!)

FAILURE_FUNCTIONAL

320 AUTH AuthOK["myDOMAIN\me"]
310 SET ENV twice, then exec locale to english US.1252

300 HEARTBEAT 1
310 PLAT Windows 2008
251 RESULT 1073741502
260 EOR

By the AuthOK, I'm guessing it can switch from system to me, but now what?

Comments
Marc Towersap commented Jul 06 '12, 5:21 p.m.

ah, I un-installed then re-installed the agent, and woohoo! success!

permanent link
Marc Towersap (481711) | answered Jul 06 '12, 5:22 p.m.
edited Jul 06 '12, 5:22 p.m.
ah, I un-installed then re-installed the agent, and woohoo! success!  Thank you David!!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.