It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Send Email Policy and Timer Question

Dan Duce (2534645) | asked Jun 05 '12, 2:13 p.m.
We've added a Send Email policy to the Approved state for an asset with a timer set at 2 months.  No other options are set (entrance to state, save, etc are all blank).   I would expect that this would result  in an email being sent once two months has elapse but this is not what is happening.

An email is being sent as soon as the asset enters the approved state.   This isn't how it should work.  Does this need to be set differently?

Thanks,

4 answers

permanent link
Sheehan Anderson (1.2k4) | answered Jun 06 '12, 11:09 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I tried to replicate this issue, but was unable to do so.  Does the Review page indicate that the policy ran?  It should contain the text 'Email sent successfully.'

The email policy does not stop other emails from being sent.  For example, reviewers may still receive a notification indicating that the asset entered the approved state.  The policy only sends an additional email that is defined in the policy configuration.

permanent link
Dan Duce (2534645) | answered Jun 06 '12, 2:19 p.m.
Hi Sheehan,

I think I described it badly.   What seems to be happening is that once the timer value is reached, RAM is sending the email every day.  It's not just a one time thing which is what was expected.   Is it supposed to continue the send the email every day once the timer expires?

Thanks,

Comments
Sheehan Anderson commented Jun 07 '12, 1:04 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

No, that's not the expected behavior. Open a defect and we'll take a look.

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered Jun 07 '12, 3:46 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
It is supposed to repeat at what interval you set while it is in that state.

If you set it to two months then it should repeat every two months as long as it is in that state.

If you have it set to two months and it waits two months for the first notification, and then it does daily after that then there is some error occurring after the policy was run but before it updated the database to say run again in two months. In that case the timer policy job runs once a day and it would see that the time to run policy has not changed and it is now past that time so it runs it again.

Rich

Comments
Dan Duce commented Jun 09 '12, 3:25 p.m.

Hi Rich,

It doesn't seem to be waiting. We set the time for 6 months out. The next day it started sending one email each day.

Rich Kulp commented Jun 11 '12, 9:50 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Then that is a bug. We will need the logs for around 10PM thru 1AM of the last time a mail was sent. Timer Policies are processed in the evening around that time. There must be an error occurring at that time because it should be resetting the timer to another six months. Please open a defect and attach the logs.

permanent link
alex ioan (33710) | answered Oct 08 '14, 9:43 a.m.
Hi,

I confirm this behavior in RAM 7.5.1.1

Is a defect already opened for this? If yes is the problem solved in newer versions?

Comments
Francois-xavier Panaget commented Oct 08 '14, 12:09 p.m.

Hi

Could this be related to the APAR:
PM73536: [wi 73620] RAM - policy is executed without following its timer's schedule
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1PM73536

Regards,
François

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.