It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

will link between revision of SVN and RTC workitem alive?

Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | asked Apr 25 '12, 8:54 p.m.
Regarding RTC-SVN bridge, if we have set up link WI to SVN repository following the help:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.scm.svn.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_link_workitems.html

we know that we can see the link in SVN history and in WorkItem's link tab.

Then importing the Subversion repository to RTC, will the link between revision and RTC Work item still effective after importing?

As per import SVN repository to RTC help, it seems that all revision and history will be imported. Since RTC WI's link tab is not affected, I will think the link after import should be still alive, does anyone have info for that? Thanks

7 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 09 '12, 11:13 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Don,

Yes, I believe the answer is "no" ... i.e., the pre-import links will continue to point to the subversion revision, and although it would make sense to have an imported change set refer to the work item that is associated with the revision it was imported from, I do not believe that is currently done.

Cheers,
Geoff

Geoff

Maybe I am not clear enough in my previous notes.

I understand that RTC WI link will be still effective back to its original SVN revision after importing the source data from SVN as import does not affect the association.

My question is that for the imported revision(which is now a changeset in RTC), will it have any link to the original associated RTC WI or not?

From your previous comments "But it would be a nifty option to the SVN import to replace those links with links to the change-set produced by the import." does it suggest that the imported revision has no link with the original associated RTC WI, and ideally it should have that link between the created changeset(from revision) and existing RTC WI?
So the answer is No, am I right? Thanks

=====
Hi, Geoff

From article : https://jazz.net/library/article/650
=====
What to Expect When Importing from Subversion

Before we present information on the operation of the SVN importer, it is worthwhile to describe how the data and concepts from an SVN repository will be mapped to an RTC repository.

* In Subversion, each commit maps to a revision. When importing from Subversion into RTC, each revision will be mapped to a change set.
====
After importing, revision will become change set.
Before importing, when we go to RTC's WI's link and click on it, it will go to SVN's history. However, after importing there is no changeset history I can find in RTC, hence when clicking on the same RTC WI link, where it would jump to? According to your comment " traversing the link from the work item will still get you to the SVN commit.", since commit is now mapped as changeset in RTC, do you mean it will go to changeset now?
The previous comment from you"But it would be a nifty option to the SVN import to replace those links with links to the change-set produced by the import." would imply that the link is not going to changeset, if that is the case and the revision/commit is no longer existing in RTC, I am wondering where the link will be going? Can you please clarify a bit on this? Thanks a lot.

Yes, importing SVN commits doesn't change the SVN repository ... it still exists (unless you delete it). So traversing the link from the work item will still get you to the SVN commit.

Cheers,
Geoff

Thanks Geoff for the info.
Does that mean that the link will be still effective between the revision in history and the WI after importing SVN repository even though the revision is imported as change set but the link won't go to the new change set?

I predict that the answer will be "yes, that link back to the SVN commit is not affected by the import". But it would be a nifty option to the SVN import to replace those links with links to the change-set produced by the import.

Cheers,
Geoff

Regarding RTC-SVN bridge, if we have set up link WI to SVN repository following the help:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.scm.svn.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_link_workitems.html

Then importing the Subversion repository to RTC, will the link between revision and RTC Work item still effective after importing?

As per import SVN repository to RTC help, it seems that all revision and history will be imported. Since RTC WI's link tab is not affected, I will think the link after import should be still alive, does anyone have info for that? Thanks

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 26 '12, 1:27 a.m.
I predict that the answer will be "yes, that link back to the SVN commit is not affected by the import". But it would be a nifty option to the SVN import to replace those links with links to the change-set produced by the import.

Cheers,
Geoff

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Apr 26 '12, 1:40 a.m.
Does that mean that the link will be still effective between the revision in history and the WI after importing SVN repository even though the revision is imported as change set but the link won't go to the new change set?

Cheers,
Geoff

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 26 '12, 1:52 a.m.
Yes, importing SVN commits doesn't change the SVN repository ... it still exists (unless you delete it). So traversing the link from the work item will still get you to the SVN commit.

Cheers,
Geoff

Cheers,
Geoff

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Apr 26 '12, 2:05 a.m.
Thanks Geoff for the clarification.

Cheers,
Geoff

Cheers,
Geoff

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered May 09 '12, 2:52 a.m.
Hi, Geoff

Hi, Geoff

=====

Before we present information on the operation of the SVN importer, it is worthwhile to describe how the data and concepts from an SVN repository will be mapped to an RTC repository.

* In Subversion, each commit maps to a revision. When importing from Subversion into RTC, each revision will be mapped to a change set.
====
Before importing, when we go to RTC's WI's link and click on it, it will go to SVN's history. However, after importing there is no changeset history I can find in RTC, hence when clicking on the same RTC WI link, where it would jump to? According to your comment " traversing the link from the work item will still get you to the SVN commit.", since commit is now mapped as changeset in RTC, do you mean it will go to changeset now?
The previous comment from you"But it would be a nifty option to the SVN import to replace those links with links to the change-set produced by the import." would imply that the link is not going to changeset, if that is the case and the revision/commit is no longer existing in RTC, I am wondering where the link will be going? Can you please clarify a bit on this? Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Geoff

Cheers,
Geoff

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered May 09 '12, 3:03 a.m.
Geoff

Maybe I am not clear enough in my previous notes.

I understand that RTC WI link will be still effective back to its original SVN revision after importing the source data from SVN as import does not affect the association.

My question is that for the imported revision(which is now a changeset in RTC), will it have any link to the original associated RTC WI or not?

From your previous comments "But it would be a nifty option to the SVN import to replace those links with links to the change-set produced by the import." does it suggest that the imported revision has no link with the original associated RTC WI, and ideally it should have that link between the created changeset(from revision) and existing RTC WI?
So the answer is No, am I right? Thanks

=====
Hi, Geoff

=====

====

Cheers,
Geoff

Cheers,
Geoff

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.