It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Web - field cleared on state change

Peter Kidwell (2399) | asked Dec 16 '10, 10:29 a.m.
Hi Jazz players,

We've had 2 instances now of the Description field of a work item being cleared (set to empty) on a particular state change. Both instances are with users coming in via the RTC Web UI client (2.0.0.2).

The first time, I chalked it up to "user error", assuming that they somehow tabbed into the Description field and hit the Backspace key. But some time later, a second work item came through with the same issue, from a different user, but on the very same state change.

Is there something in the process definition that might cause RTC to delete a field's contents at a state change? Is there anything I can look at locally (I don't have server admin access) to see what might have triggered it?

One note: the field "delete" does show up in the work item history as a change (which has helped us put the info back).

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 16 '10, 11:17 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Peter,

you might want to consider to open a work item.

I don't know of something that would delete the description on state change. There could be a server side extension. A logical place to look would be the Process configuration, Operational behaviors in project, team, timeline. You can try using the eclipse client, open the project from the context menu. I would assume you can at least look into the process configuration.

Ralph

Hi Jazz players,

We've had 2 instances now of the Description field of a work item being cleared (set to empty) on a particular state change. Both instances are with users coming in via the RTC Web UI client (2.0.0.2).

The first time, I chalked it up to "user error", assuming that they somehow tabbed into the Description field and hit the Backspace key. But some time later, a second work item came through with the same issue, from a different user, but on the very same state change.

Is there something in the process definition that might cause RTC to delete a field's contents at a state change? Is there anything I can look at locally (I don't have server admin access) to see what might have triggered it?

One note: the field "delete" does show up in the work item history as a change (which has helped us put the info back).

permanent link
Peter Kidwell (2399) | answered Dec 16 '10, 11:20 a.m.

A logical place to look would be the Process configuration, Operational behaviors in project, team, timeline. You can try using the eclipse client, open the project from the context menu. I would assume you can at least look into the process configuration.

Yep, I'm the one who did all the changes to the process config. The only Operational Behaviors defined on workitems are Required Attributes. I just put in a "band-aid" where I made this field required. It works now, in that the save is stopped, but it still doesn't tell us what is emptying out the field.

It's almost as if the field is not loading properly into the Web UI.

Thanks,
Pete K.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 16 '10, 12:06 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Pete,

I'd suggest looking at the current iFix or creating a work item.

This could be browser related, which one, which version are you using? Do you see it in all browsers? Is there special content e.g. characters in the descriptions that fail?

Just some thoughts,

Ralph

Yep, I'm the one who did all the changes to the process config. The only Operational Behaviors defined on workitems are Required Attributes. I just put in a "band-aid" where I made this field required. It works now, in that the save is stopped, but it still doesn't tell us what is emptying out the field.

It's almost as if the field is not loading properly into the Web UI.

Thanks,
Pete K.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.