It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Changing Work Item Type Order

Jorgefelix Siverio (7621414) | asked Mar 22 '12, 4:42 p.m.
By default in the agile and waterfall tempaltes Defect is the first work item type.

We have configured several custom work items and we would like to change the order in which they appear when creating a new work item. I have explored this in Eclipse and in the web interface with no success. I figured I would reach out to the community to see if anyone has found a fix or work-around.

Is this a possibility, or has there been an identified work-around?

Thanks in advance for your support!

3 answers

permanent link
Virginia Brown (9333941) | answered Mar 24 '12, 2:52 p.m.
By default in the agile and waterfall tempaltes Defect is the first work item type.

We have configured several custom work items and we would like to change the order in which they appear when creating a new work item. I have explored this in Eclipse and in the web interface with no success. I figured I would reach out to the community to see if anyone has found a fix or work-around.

you're right - the work item list order is not exposed in the GUI.
You'll need to edit the XML directly (accessible via Process Config Source tab in the eclipse client) to change the order.

Look under project-configuration for a list of types. (carefully) move the
<type>...</type> block of the WI to move the order.

do one and notice the order change in the work item pulldown to verify you're in the right place.

permanent link
Jia Jia Li (8058157192) | answered Mar 26 '12, 12:37 p.m.

you're right - the work item list order is not exposed in the GUI.
You'll need to edit the XML directly (accessible via Process Config Source tab in the eclipse client) to change the order.

Look under project-configuration for a list of types. (carefully) move the
<type>...</type> block of the WI to move the order.

do one and notice the order change in the work item pulldown to verify you're in the right place.

Yes, this can change the order when create work item. But I find when create work item in Plan, the order is also strange, not align with the XML declaration. Do you know why?

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered May 01 '12, 4:49 p.m.
and u have to stop, clear cache and restart the server and all clients

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.