It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Deploying Work Item workflow into existing proects

Amit Kravzov (1351616) | asked Feb 28 '12, 9:14 a.m.
I would like to change the defect workflow and use the new workflow in several existing projects.
I know it is possible to create a new template for future projects, but can I use it also for existing projects in some way?

Similar to how ClearQuest behave, where I can upgrade a user DB to a newer version of the schema?

Amit.

9 answers

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Feb 28 '12, 11:52 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I would like to change the defect workflow and use the new workflow in several existing projects.
I know it is possible to create a new template for future projects, but can I use it also for existing projects in some way?

Similar to how ClearQuest behave, where I can upgrade a user DB to a newer version of the schema?

Amit.

There's no easy way to push your changes to other project areas that already have their own process since these other projects were setup to have their own process, not share one.

If you want multiple projects to share a single process, you could setup Process Sharing where you have a "master" project that provides the process to other areas that consume it. Changes to the master are automatically shared to the consuming projects.

permanent link
Amit Kravzov (1351616) | answered Feb 28 '12, 12:39 p.m.

There's no easy way to push your changes to other project areas that already have their own process since these other projects were setup to have their own process, not share one.

If you want multiple projects to share a single process, you could setup Process Sharing where you have a "master" project that provides the process to other areas that consume it. Changes to the master are automatically shared to the consuming projects.

Thank you for the answer.
Is there an enhancement request for this?
Is there any plan to change the way processes are handled? To be managed seperately from project ares, and being consumed inside projects so it is easier to create new versions for the schema and consume it only when and where needed?

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Feb 28 '12, 1:29 p.m.

Is there an enhancement request for this?
Is there any plan to change the way processes are handled? To be managed seperately from project ares, and being consumed inside projects so it is easier to create new versions for the schema and consume it only when and where needed?

I think the enhancement is the process sharing capability. The process isn't something that's "outside" of the project -- it's the blueprint for how the project runs. A project without a process is is just an empty container with no work item types, no workflows, etc. One way to think of it is: Project = Timeline + Team + Process. A Project Area can hold multiple Projects (defined that way), allowing them to share one or more of those components.

Once a Project Area has been setup to consume its Process from another, that association can be changed. So you could define a MasterProjectArea1.0 and have all of your projects consume their process from it. You can tweak it and have the changes picked up by the consumers. Then if you decide that you want to introduce some larger changes, you can create MasterProjectArea2.0 that starts with the 1.0 process and implements your improvements. When you're ready, you can change the consumer projects to get their shared process from the 2.0 master -- and you can let the consuming projects change at their own pace (the 1.0 Project Area is still there).

Obviously some care needs to be taken that you don't introduce breaking changes -- but that's true in any sort of "schema change" scenario. Is there something you are trying to accomplish that you don't think could be addressed with this mechanism? Because if there is, we can certainly make an Enhancement request for that.

permanent link
Amit Kravzov (1351616) | answered Feb 28 '12, 2:28 p.m.

I think the enhancement is the process sharing capability. The process isn't something that's "outside" of the project -- it's the blueprint for how the project runs. A project without a process is is just an empty container with no work item types, no workflows, etc. One way to think of it is: Project = Timeline + Team + Process. A Project Area can hold multiple Projects (defined that way), allowing them to share one or more of those components.

Once a Project Area has been setup to consume its Process from another, that association can be changed. So you could define a MasterProjectArea1.0 and have all of your projects consume their process from it. You can tweak it and have the changes picked up by the consumers. Then if you decide that you want to introduce some larger changes, you can create MasterProjectArea2.0 that starts with the 1.0 process and implements your improvements. When you're ready, you can change the consumer projects to get their shared process from the 2.0 master -- and you can let the consuming projects change at their own pace (the 1.0 Project Area is still there).

Obviously some care needs to be taken that you don't introduce breaking changes -- but that's true in any sort of "schema change" scenario. Is there something you are trying to accomplish that you don't think could be addressed with this mechanism? Because if there is, we can certainly make an Enhancement request for that.

Your suggestion is indeed good enough and answer my needs. I can see a minor problem with this which is holding a lot of dummy projects, one for each version, which is solved if the process is maintained in real versions and projects are based on (of course in a way you have described what a process is and what it holds inside).

I think it would be good submitting an enhancement in order to bring it up to discussion where other developers would share their opinions with us.

permanent link
Amit Kravzov (1351616) | answered Feb 28 '12, 3:17 p.m.

Your suggestion is indeed good enough and answer my needs. I can see a minor problem with this which is holding a lot of dummy projects, one for each version, which is solved if the process is maintained in real versions and projects are based on (of course in a way you have described what a process is and what it holds inside).

I think it would be good submitting an enhancement in order to bring it up to discussion where other developers would share their opinions with us.

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Feb 28 '12, 4:36 p.m.

Well, you don't _need_ to hold a lot of dummy projects -- how you want to handle or control that is up to you. Sorry if my example was confusing or implied more than I intended.

You can have one master and always update it directly -- you don't need a new one for every change (or any change). This will push the change to all consuming projects almost immediately.

You can have MasterA and MasterB and bounce between them -- that let's you test out the changes before offering them for consumption. This could be useful if you are introducing larger changes than you want to force on everyone immediately. Once everyone has adopted B, you can start making the next round of changes to A. This could get tricky if you can't assure that everyone has moved to B, though.

And even if you use a sequentially numbered collection, you can archive the older, unused ones so that they disappear from most lists. Yet they still provide an "audit history" of prior process configurations.

permanent link
Amit Kravzov (1351616) | answered Feb 28 '12, 5:19 p.m.
I will try your suggestion and see if it fits in the long term.
Thanks again.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 01 '12, 8:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Note that the ability to combine process fragments from several project areas has been requested in work item 65652. You might want to read over that work item and verify whether that is the direction you would be looking for.

Cheers,
Geoff

Amit.

permanent link
Amit Kravzov (1351616) | answered Mar 01 '12, 11:01 a.m.
Note that the ability to combine process fragments from several project areas has been requested in work item 65652. You might want to read over that work item and verify whether that is the direction you would be looking for.

Cheers,
Geoff

Thanks Geoff.
That is exactly what I mean. I noticed that the entire issue is still far from deciding what is the right way to use "common" processes plus versions.

Amit.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.