It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

test connection issue on build engine for buildforge

qiu saphen (27126039) | asked Aug 09 '11, 9:40 a.m.
Hi,
I add an buildforge engine on RTC, after configuring hostname and username,password , I click test connection, sometimes the result is ok, but sometimes it is fail, why does it happen?

Testing, please wait...
Result: Failed. A com.buildforge.services.common.api.ProtocolException exception occurred testing the connection. Verify the user id and password specified and retry. The logs should have more detailed information about the exception.

10 answers

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Aug 09 '11, 9:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,
I add an buildforge engine on RTC, after configuring hostname and username,password , I click test connection, sometimes the result is ok, but sometimes it is fail, why does it happen?

Testing, please wait...
Result: Failed. A com.buildforge.services.common.api.ProtocolException exception occurred testing the connection. Verify the user id and password specified and retry. The logs should have more detailed information about the exception.

Hi,

One thing to be careful about is that the user needs to be a dedicated Build Forge user for the build. If you use the user for other purposes, there is the chance that the various logins will knock each other out.

Brent Ulbricht
RTC Build Lead

permanent link
qiu saphen (27126039) | answered Aug 09 '11, 9:55 a.m.
Hi,

Testing, please wait...

Hi,

One thing to be careful about is that the user needs to be a dedicated Build Forge user for the build. If you use the user for other purposes, there is the chance that the various logins will knock each other out.

Brent Ulbricht
RTC Build Lead

The user is for the build only, I am sure no other people is using it. I suppose if it is the RTC knock itself out with clicking test connection several times?

permanent link
Tami Takamiya (2011110) | answered Aug 26 '11, 2:23 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

Testing, please wait...

Hi,

Brent Ulbricht
RTC Build Lead

The user is for the build only, I am sure no other people is using it. I suppose if it is the RTC knock itself out with clicking test connection several times?

Are you trying to connect to a Build Forge server or a Rational Build Agent (Build Forge Agent)? If you are trying to connect to a Rational Build Agent and your build engine is configured with the Rational Build Forge engine type, this error could occur. If it is the case, try to create a new engine with the Rational Build Agent type.

permanent link
Sergio Lorente (981711) | answered Oct 21 '11, 10:15 a.m.
Hi,

we have the same trouble. But it respond as a timeout exception.

We've tried for the bf agent and it works but it doesn't for buildforge.

So, we watch in the bf server machine and list all ports traffic (netstat -a) and find a calling to 3966 by the jazz team server, but it not respond. (Jazz team server and BF are installed in the same machine but we are doing the test from another machine).
telnet bfserver_machine 5555 respond ok
telnet bfserver_machine 3966 just waits and shows the cursor... (should it respond with something similar as port 5555?, i don't know)

The buildforge.conf file contains port 3966 for services port and 49150 for ssl services port. We check the checkbox for security and change port, uncheck again and same solution. Test for 3966 and 49150 and it doesn't work.

What else can we do to solve that??

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Oct 21 '11, 10:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

we have the same trouble. But it respond as a timeout exception.

We've tried for the bf agent and it works but it doesn't for buildforge.

So, we watch in the bf server machine and list all ports traffic (netstat -a) and find a calling to 3966 by the jazz team server, but it not respond. (Jazz team server and BF are installed in the same machine but we are doing the test from another machine).
telnet bfserver_machine 5555 respond ok
telnet bfserver_machine 3966 just waits and shows the cursor... (should it respond with something similar as port 5555?, i don't know)

The buildforge.conf file contains port 3966 for services port and 49150 for ssl services port. We check the checkbox for security and change port, uncheck again and same solution. Test for 3966 and 49150 and it doesn't work.

What else can we do to solve that??

A telnet to Build Forge on port 3966 will not respond with anything like you can do with the build agent on port 5555. What is the message that you get or any stack traces that you see when testing the connection to Bulid Forge? Also, what versions of RTC and Build Forge are you using?

Brent Ulbricht
RTC Build Lead

permanent link
Sergio Lorente (981711) | answered Oct 21 '11, 10:42 a.m.
Thanks for the quit response.

Our RTC is 3.0.1 and BF is 7.1.2.2

The stacktrace is Resultado:com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServiceException - CRJAZ0099I Al acceder al URL "https://192.168.240.204:9443/ccm/service/com.ibm.rational.connector.buildforge.internal.common.IBuildForgeServicesLayerService" se ha producido el error HTTP siguiente: "java.net.SocketTimeoutException"

Here is the capture:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ccqhaf.jpg

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Oct 21 '11, 3:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
When you execute a 'netstat -an | grep 3966', does it show that it is listening?

Brent Ulbricht
RTC Build Lead

permanent link
Sergio Lorente (981711) | answered Oct 24 '11, 9:13 a.m.
Established, it said.

By the way, I open another JTS server, and create a new ProjectArea. I also generate a new BF Build Engine and it works!!! I compared each ProjectArea and has the same permissions. License are the same for both repo with 2 users configured in each repo with the same license type and permissions.

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Oct 24 '11, 10:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Established, it said.

By the way, I open another JTS server, and create a new ProjectArea. I also generate a new BF Build Engine and it works!!! I compared each ProjectArea and has the same permissions. License are the same for both repo with 2 users configured in each repo with the same license type and permissions.

Since you're able to connect successfully with another JTS server, I'm wondering if this would clear up with a server restart. If you've got a lot of stuff running, it may take some scheduling to figure out a good time to stop and start the JTS.

Brent Ulbricht
RTC Build Lead

permanent link
Sergio Lorente (981711) | answered Oct 25 '11, 7:21 a.m.
Yes, thank you for your support.

Comments
Jirong Hu commented Jun 26 '12, 5:25 p.m.

I go the following error from RTC 3.0.1 to BF 7.1.0.0. Find no error in ccm and jts logs. Where is this log?

Testing, please wait... Result: Failed. A java.net.ConnectException exception occurred testing the connection. Verify the host and port specified, make sure the Build Forge server is running and retry the connection test. The logs should have more detailed information about the exception.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.