It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Transaction Usage Reporting

Matthew Bradley (1133) | asked Nov 09 '11, 4:53 a.m.
We're looking to report on usage of each of our project areas (potentially hundreds or thousands of them) in RTC, in particular a count of work items that have been created or modified in the last five months and ideally the number of users per project area. We want to consolidate this information into a single report listing all project areas with the count metrics. The report will be generated once a month.

We've been looking into options we've shortlisted. One option is to use Rational Insight with a live connection to RTC and read the data directly out. The other option is to create a Java app that uses OSLC to read data out of RTC. Are there any other options out there we might consider?

We looked at Insight ETL/ODS but we discounted it since this seems a large overhead for a report that's generated once a month. However, the limitation we see with Insight live connection is that it only reports on one project area at a time. Are there any future enhancements planned that would allow reporting on multiple project areas via Insight live connection? Otherwise we were thinking we would use Insight live connection to create a report for each project area and write a script to consolidate the output into one report.

Would appreciate any thoughts/ideas you may have on this! Thanks.

3 answers

permanent link
James Moody (3.3k24) | answered Nov 14 '11, 10:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We're looking to report on usage of each of our project areas (potentially hundreds or thousands of them) in RTC, in particular a count of work items that have been created or modified in the last five months and ideally the number of users per project area. We want to consolidate this information into a single report listing all project areas with the count metrics. The report will be generated once a month.

We've been looking into options we've shortlisted. One option is to use Rational Insight with a live connection to RTC and read the data directly out. The other option is to create a Java app that uses OSLC to read data out of RTC. Are there any other options out there we might consider?

We looked at Insight ETL/ODS but we discounted it since this seems a large overhead for a report that's generated once a month. However, the limitation we see with Insight live connection is that it only reports on one project area at a time. Are there any future enhancements planned that would allow reporting on multiple project areas via Insight live connection? Otherwise we were thinking we would use Insight live connection to create a report for each project area and write a script to consolidate the output into one report.

Hi,

I'll ask the Work Items team to weigh in here as well, regarding any solution using the OSLC APIs - they are more familiar with that than I am.

I'm curious about why the ETL/ODS seems like large overhead - in particular, an RTC 3.0.1 release already contains a data warehouse and Java-based ETL jobs out of the box, and this data is collected nightly. The work item history table in the ODS contains all the information you need to, for example, count the number of work items created in a time period, or count the work items modified in a time period.

Regarding number of users per project area, I'll presume that you're looking for the users who are actually members of the project area (as opposed to those who have, say read access to it). I don't believe we store this information in the data warehouse currently, and our reportable REST APIs do not expose it.

Setting that issue aside, if you are already doing BIRT custom reporting in RTC, you could use a BIRT report to pull in the number of work items created (NEW_WI_COUNT) or modified (WORKITEM_CHNGS) in a time period. You could also use RRDI to create a similar report using Cognos technology, as it operates on the same data warehouse.

Note that both our BIRT and RRDI reporting solutions do allow you to create reports on data regardless of the project area. That is, you can create a cross-project report that pulls data from multiple project areas.

Please let me know if this clarifies things.

james
CLM Reporting lead

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Nov 17 '11, 9:08 a.m.

Hi,

I'll ask the Work Items team to weigh in here as well, regarding any solution using the OSLC APIs - they are more familiar with that than I am.

I'm curious about why the ETL/ODS seems like large overhead - in particular, an RTC 3.0.1 release already contains a data warehouse and Java-based ETL jobs out of the box, and this data is collected nightly. The work item history table in the ODS contains all the information you need to, for example, count the number of work items created in a time period, or count the work items modified in a time period.

Regarding number of users per project area, I'll presume that you're looking for the users who are actually members of the project area (as opposed to those who have, say read access to it). I don't believe we store this information in the data warehouse currently, and our reportable REST APIs do not expose it.

Setting that issue aside, if you are already doing BIRT custom reporting in RTC, you could use a BIRT report to pull in the number of work items created (NEW_WI_COUNT) or modified (WORKITEM_CHNGS) in a time period. You could also use RRDI to create a similar report using Cognos technology, as it operates on the same data warehouse.

Note that both our BIRT and RRDI reporting solutions do allow you to create reports on data regardless of the project area. That is, you can create a cross-project report that pulls data from multiple project areas.

Please let me know if this clarifies things.

james
CLM Reporting lead

Is there anyone that can address performance concerns with "Data Collection" jobs ?

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 17 '11, 6:38 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
For performance concerns, please work with Rational Support or file a
work item, because the team will need to collect detailed information
about your deployment configuration. I do encourage you to do so, since
that kind of feedback is needed to identify and fix configurations that
may not be covered by our performance test suites.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 11/17/2011 9:23 AM, yzwkzfn wrote:

Is there anyone that can address performance concerns with "Data
Collection" jobs ?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.