It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 3.0.1 - z/OS - Build Maps - Time Stamp field

Donald Poulin (2249119107) | asked Sep 07 '11, 5:51 a.m.
The time stamp field is displayed in a format that is not easily decipherable - here is an example -- 1314902877000. Is there a way to convert that filed to what you would normally see when viewing an entry on a z/OS PDS?

10 answers

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Sep 07 '11, 4:39 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi
This is a UNIX based timestamp. Your question is vague.... yes there are ways to convert this to a more readable format.
Here is a web site that does it... http://www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm

There are also ways in Java to do this... for example
long unixTime = Long.parseLong(input);
java.util.Date d = new java.util.Date(unixTime);

I'm not sure without looking what format is used in a PDS but hopefully this is enough to go on.

Guy

permanent link
Donald Poulin (2249119107) | answered Sep 08 '11, 6:11 a.m.
Hi
This is a UNIX based timestamp. Your question is vague.... yes there are ways to convert this to a more readable format.
Here is a web site that does it... http://www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm

There are also ways in Java to do this... for example
long unixTime = Long.parseLong(input);
java.util.Date d = new java.util.Date(unixTime);

I'm not sure without looking what format is used in a PDS but hopefully this is enough to go on.

Guy

So when a specific UNIX time from a buildmap is converted to a more readable format will it be the same as the time stamp (last update) on a PDS entry. In other words will it match the "Last Update" time on a PDS member that was created as output.

Maybe a better way of asking is - "How can I match a buildmap output member to a specific PDS member?" I can match a member name and a PDS name but not size or date/time.

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Sep 08 '11, 1:31 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi
For a source member what you say is correct. We reformat that AIX timestamp and place it in the Last Update field that you can see. For a load module what we use is the SSI area. This is a 4 byte field that we place the binary representation of that timestamp into.

Guy

permanent link
Donald Poulin (2249119107) | answered Sep 09 '11, 6:03 a.m.
Hi
For a source member what you say is correct. We reformat that AIX timestamp and place it in the Last Update field that you can see. For a load module what we use is the SSI area. This is a 4 byte field that we place the binary representation of that timestamp into.

Guy

Thanks

permanent link
Joseph Chang (1552319) | answered Oct 08 '11, 1:13 p.m.
Hi

Guy

I would recommend RTC changing the buildmap timestamp format to be consistent with it in PDS.
In PDS the Last Update Filed (Change) is shown like "2011/09/20 04:58:09" and the SSI filed is shown like "4E683598". Simple change can make buildmap more friendly. This also requested by one of my RTC customer.

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Oct 09 '11, 4:04 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi
The format we have in the buildmap allows it to be quickly compared against other timestamps of the same format. We do comparisons during various operations like promotion. Storing the timestamp in either of the two PDS formats would mean we would have to convert before comparing and we don't want the performance hit involved with that.
If you want to pursue this further I would recommend you open an enhancement request up for this as mentioning it in a forum post will probably means this just gets lost in the ether.

Guy

permanent link
Joseph Chang (1552319) | answered Oct 11 '11, 4:21 a.m.
Hi
The format we have in the buildmap allows it to be quickly compared against other timestamps of the same format. We do comparisons during various operations like promotion. Storing the timestamp in either of the two PDS formats would mean we would have to convert before comparing and we don't want the performance hit involved with that.
If you want to pursue this further I would recommend you open an enhancement request up for this as mentioning it in a forum post will probably means this just gets lost in the ether.

Guy

I think the internal format of build map should be kept the same as is. But the timestamp in the buildmap report automatically generated and attached in the external link tab of build result can re-formatted to be human readable. Do you agree that?

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Oct 11 '11, 10:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Joseph
Nice idea..... although the link is actually to the buildmap itself, what happens when you click that link is the content of the buildmap is returned to us via a web service and then it is formatted for the browser. It may be possible to tweak the CSS we are using to reformat the timestamp into a human readable form. An alternative is for us to look at storing a human readable version of the timestamp in the buildmap as well as the storing it in the current format.

The next step for you is to open an enhancement request with these ideas and we can triage it. I could open it for you but having someone external (a customer) open the request up tends to give it more weight when we are deciding what to implement.

Guy

permanent link
Joseph Chang (1552319) | answered Oct 12 '11, 6:02 a.m.
Hi Joseph
Nice idea..... although the link is actually to the buildmap itself, what happens when you click that link is the content of the buildmap is returned to us via a web service and then it is formatted for the browser. It may be possible to tweak the CSS we are using to reformat the timestamp into a human readable form. An alternative is for us to look at storing a human readable version of the timestamp in the buildmap as well as the storing it in the current format.

The next step for you is to open an enhancement request with these ideas and we can triage it. I could open it for you but having someone external (a customer) open the request up tends to give it more weight when we are deciding what to implement.

Guy

I created an Enhancement -- 180271. I think it's easy but valuable enhancement.

permanent link
Joseph Chang (1552319) | answered Oct 12 '11, 6:06 a.m.
Hi Joseph

Guy

I created an Enhancement -- 180271. I think it's easy but valuable enhancement.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.