It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to: Working with multiple workspaces

Guenther Koegel (111) | asked Apr 10 '08, 5:55 a.m.
Hello,

I would like to work with two client installations (e.g. office and home) and wonder how to do it right. Every time I switch installation I have to reload my complete workspace to get it into sync which takes around two hours to complete...

Is there a better/shorter way to do that?
What do you recommend?

I'm thinking about taking the whole workspace along with me every time I switch installations but too many information is tied to the workspace, e.g. user preferences, that differ for both installations.

What other options are available?

Kind regards,

Guenther

4 answers

permanent link
Dmitry Karasik (1.8k11) | answered Apr 10 '08, 5:55 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:38:01 +0000, guenther wrote:

Maybe I have to ask: How do I trick the client into synchronizing my
workspace instead of replacing its content?

No tricking is required. Load by default will only transfer content you
don't already have (or that has changed on the server).

- Dmitry

permanent link
Elisabeth Carbone (616108) | answered Apr 10 '08, 6:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Gnhter,

there was a similar question discussed in the forum. Could you have a look into "Repository Workspace and multiple clients" https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=780&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=multiple+workspace

I understand that you are asking about the eclipse workspace and not the repository workspace. But I think you could find an answer in the mentioned discussion how to re-organize the eclipse workspace so that a load would not take two hours.

/Elisabeth

permanent link
Guenther Koegel (111) | answered Apr 10 '08, 7:37 a.m.
Hello Elisabeth,

Thank your for your fast reply. After reading the mentioned post I would say that my problem starts with the
<re-load any "out-of-sync"> projects because reloading takes very long.

As far as I understand it reloading replaces all files not only the changed ones. If one file of a component is changed I have to replace all files of that component.

Maybe I have to ask: How do I trick the client into synchronizing my workspace instead of replacing its content?

Here some figures to illustrate the issue: workspace size approx. 500 MB, 2 MBit DLS approx. 200 kBytes/second raw transfer rate, but approx. 70 kBytes/second transfer according to the dialogue box while loading a component.

Kind regards,

Guenther

permanent link
Guenther Koegel (111) | answered Apr 28 '08, 6:21 a.m.
Hello,

After some experiments I would like to share my experience:

With the first attempt I copied my whole workspace from one installation to an other. This worked for me because I had two identical installations (path, user, OS, etc.) but I don't think this is the way to do it.

With the second attempt I associated the new Eclipse workspace via the "Duplicate..." context menu with my existing Repository Workspace and gave it a new name, e.g. "WS@Home". Now I have two "independent" workspaces where I accept incoming changes and only the changed files are copied. This set-up works for me and solves my problem.

Kind regards,

Guenther

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.