It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Eclipse does not like loading mutliple sandboxes

Harry Koehnemann (30125238) | asked Aug 29 '11, 10:51 p.m.
While it is possible to load multiple repo workspaces in different sandboxes, Eclipse gets confused about bringing conflicting projects out in the Explorer views. When I try to load multiple repo workspaces that have common projects, the load works fine, but Eclipse errors complaining about the overlapping project names.

Has anyone figured out to work in Eclipse with multiple sandboxes (where the sandboxes contain conflicting project names)?

Will load rules help here, perhaps including the repo workspace name in the path?

Many thanks.

14 answers

permanent link
Yaron Norani (47267065) | answered Sep 27 '11, 10:37 a.m.
Hi,

Sorry,I think I was not clear enough.
I do not want to load same folder twice.
I would like to load same component from different repository workspaces (or the whole repository) twice.

From the acticle you've sent:
"You cannot load different versions of the same folder into an Eclipse workspace as projects unless a different name is used for each project."

It looks that it does not supported since RTC tries to create .project file, and each time with same project name.
I have also performed a manual chnage to the .project XML file after the first load and changed the name.
Then the second load worked fine with no problems.
This is the cause for the errors.

I think that this is should be solved, and done at the Visual Studio (Sreerupa) done with the sandbox explorer.

Please approve that this is the case.

Yaron

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Sep 27 '11, 2:46 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
It sounds like you want to load the component root folder twice. My steps explain how to do that. You would get a parent folder representing the component root folder and inside will be the projects.

Your setup would be something like this:
Workspace1_Component A\project1
Workspace2_Component A\project1

The components are the same and have the same projects but the projects aren't loaded as Eclipse projects. This is how you get around the problem of not being able to load the same project twice with the same name. You either give the project a different name or create a parent folder (the component root folder) to be a project holding the folders that you used to load as Eclipse projects.

Here's an image of what I've loaded. A project with the same name from 3 different workspaces loaded 3 different ways: typical load (treat folders as Eclipse projects), load component root, load component root with custom name for root folder (load as option).

http://i55.tinypic.com/fvh2ee.png

This sounds like what you've wanted all along.

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Sep 29 '11, 10:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi team,

having the same problem @ our RTC pilot project. We have a couple dozen components and about 6-8 variants. Each variant is a stream. The users have the need to see 2-3 variants in their Eclipse workspace at the same time.

Our approach #1:
Make an Eclipse .project for each component while putting under version control. Use standard load option for repo workspace. End up with only one variant per Eclipse workspace --> each additional variant needs a new Eclipse workspace, which means either switching or having lots of memory to keep more than one Eclipse instance open.

Our approach #2:
Try the "Load the root folders of components as projects" and "Load and create Eclipse projects for selected folders". While we can load the components into different sandboxes, unfortunately RTC does not let us decide on the Eclipse project name: it takes the component name. This means that when loading a second variant of the same component, albeit into a different sandbox, we get the error message that Yaron described. We would not even want the .project to be put under version control and could happily ignore it. But we really would want control over the name of the Eclipse project.
RTC Visual Studio handles the sandbox / variant situation much more graceful.

Our approach #3:
Try the "Load as..." option to decide on project name. Unfortunately this only works for a single component at a time and will create a Sandbox path including the name given for "Load as ...". Unusable because we need the sandbox path to include the original component name for local build reasons. Also we cannot ask each developer to load each component for each variant manually.

--> I would second a handling of sandboxes in RTC Eclipse like it is done in Visual Studio: allow a quick switch of a loaded Eclipse project from Sandbox A (first variant) to Sandbox B (second variant), with the loaded Eclipse project possibly being transient. In our case it would not even have to be under source control ... just as long as we have SCM capabilities on the files.

- Arne

permanent link
Oliver Vinn (261) | answered Jul 17 '13, 9:24 a.m.
What you need to do is provide is an Eclipse import provider for RTC sandboxes. As stated you can have multiple sandboxes but once any project is disconnected from eclipse they cannot be imported with RTC/Eclipse integration again. Multiple eclipse workspaces is a workaround with the main and not good negative: preferences don't flow between each and it confuses users not familiar with Eclipse.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.