It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Have RRDI installed and configured, but don't see any data. How does RRDI pull data from projects?

Brian Mooney (11911) | asked Jan 16 '14, 10:03 a.m.
Have RRDI installed and configured, but don't see any data.  How does RRDI pull data from projects?

I have configured RRDI with the proper jts server and jazz namespace and everything verified through the setup, but I can't see any project areas or any data. 

on my RRDI server I am running
DB2 9.7.800.717
WebSphere 8.5.0.2
RRDI 2.0.4 
connecting to another server running jts,ccm,rqm 4.0.4

9 answers

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Jan 17 '14, 6:20 a.m.
Hello Brian,

opening a PMR is indeed a good idea if you need  a fast resolution.

From your answers I understand that the data collection jobs run successfully (1) but there is no data in the data warehouse (3).
This make me think that maybe you are using 2 separate data warehouse databases, one where CLM is delivering the data and another where RRDI tries to read the data from.

You can verify this in 2 places:
1) in CLM go to the admin page of JTS/CCM and QM > Reports > Data Warehouse Connection
Check the value for
"JDBC Location", this specifies where the data collection job will put the data.

2) in RRDI launch > IBM Cognos Administration > Configuration > Data Source Connections >RIDW.
Once inside RIDW you will have a single item called again RIDW.
Click set properties next to it and open the Connection tab.
Click on the pencil icon next to Connection string .
This is where you specify the data warehouse from where RRDI reads the data.

Does 1 and 2 point to the same database?

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Jan 16 '14, 10:14 a.m.
Hello Brian,

the first 2 things that I would check are the following:

1) Does the data collection jobs run successfully in CLM?
See the admin page of JTS/CCM and QM > Reports > Data Collection Job Status
This is how the data warehouse is populated.

2) Does the user that is logged into RRDI have access to project areas in CLM?
This if you are using the data model with security

You can also check if there is data in the data warehouse, for example by checking tables like RIODS.REQUEST contains data (this should contain reference to RTC workitems for example).

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jan 16 '14, 10:28 a.m.

and, by default, the data collection jobs run daily.  

permanent link
Brian Mooney (11911) | answered Jan 16 '14, 4:36 p.m.
OK so here are the answers to your reply.  I am really not sure where the connection is broken, but I don't see any errors indicating anything is wrong.  It's just not pulling data into RRDI.  I have run through all the configuration during setup and everything validated successfully and seems to have created all DB's and connections to the different jazz servers seemed to validate successfully so I'm not sure where the disconnect is.  I think it might be best to open a PMR to get some assistance.  Thank you for your reply.
Brian

1) Does the data collection jobs run successfully in CLM?
See the admin page of JTS/CCM and QM > Reports > Data Collection Job Status
This is how the data warehouse is populated.
--Yes they seem to be running successfully

2) Does the user that is logged into RRDI have access to project areas in CLM?
This if you are using the data model with security
--Yes, there are 2 people that have access, myself and another team member, both have access to the project area and RRDI.

You can also check if there is data in the data warehouse, for example by checking tables like RIODS.REQUEST contains data (this should contain reference to RTC workitems for example).
--There is no data in the RIODS.REQUEST table

permanent link
Brian Mooney (11911) | answered Jan 17 '14, 8:55 a.m.
Thanks Francesco,  after following your last reply I checked and the CLM has a DW db and RRDI is using a local RIDW db, so I have 2 DW db's.  So I guess I need to now change RRDI to point to the actual DW db on the CLM server correct?  Can you point me to directions to do so or do I just need to go through the configuration setup again and change it, re-validate it?

Brian

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Jan 17 '14, 9:06 a.m.
Hello Brian,

glad to hear that you found the cause of the problem.

You can just changed the RIDW connection in RRDI to point to the data warehouse database used by CLM.
This is where you checked it before:

2) in RRDI launch > IBM Cognos Administration > Configuration > Data Source Connections >RIDW. Once inside RIDW you will have a single item called again RIDW. Click set properties next to it and open the Connection tab. Click on the pencil icon next to Connection string .

Some instruction on how to change it are in this topic of the Rational Insight info center (but apply to RRDI as well):

Configuring the server to connect to the operational data warehouse
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rentrpt/v1r1m1/topic/com.ibm.rational.raer.integration.doc/topics/t_integrate_data_source_msprj_ods.html

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

permanent link
Brian Mooney (11911) | answered Jan 21 '14, 4:39 p.m.
OK so I followed your link and went through the Configuring the server to connect to the operational data warehouse.  It seems pretty simple filling in the new connection string, I enter the user and password and test, but  it fails wit the below error.  My database person has validated the user-name and password connects localy on the db server in being used.

QE-DEF-0285 The logon failed.
QE-DEF-0321 The userID or password is either missing or invalid.
RQP-DEF-0068 Unable to connect to at least one database during a multi-database attach to 1 database(s) in:
    testDataSourceConnection

UDA-SQL-0031 Unable to access the "testDataSourceConnection" database. Check that the connection parameters to the database are configured correctly. For example, ensure that the data source connection contains the signon information, such as a password, to connect to the database.
UDA-SQL-0129 Invalid login information was detected by the underlying database.
[IBM][CLI Driver] SQL1013N  The database alias name or database name "xxx_DW" could not be found.  SQLSTATE=42705

BME-EX-0144 Trace back:
BmtPlayTransaction.cpp(776): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: BmtPlayTransaction::DoAction
BmtActionsHelper.cpp(500): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: BmtActionsHelper::DoAction
QFSSession.cpp(1147): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: QFSSession::ProcessDoRequest()
QFSSession.cpp(1145): QFException: CCL_CAUGHT: QFSSession::ProcessDoRequest()
QFSSession.cpp(2028): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: QFSSession::SessionProcessTestConnection()
Source/QE_RsApi.cpp(2070): QFException: CCL_RETHROW: QE
Source/QEI_ConnectionFault.cpp(814): QFException: CCL_THROW: QE

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Jan 22 '14, 12:02 p.m.
edited Jan 22 '14, 12:03 p.m.
Hello Brian,

is the new data warehouse on a different DB2 server than the old one?
If that is the case you need to catalog it on the DB2 server or client that is on the RRDI server.

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

permanent link
Brian Mooney (11911) | answered Jan 22 '14, 4:45 p.m.
I currently have DB2 installed locally on the RRDI server.  Currently RRID points to the local RICM and RIDW db's.  I need to point the RRDI to a DW db on another server.  The DB2 server that back-ends the jts/clm/rqm servers.  I have all the connection info to connect to the db, host name:port, db name and user name and password are setup with read access.  We are able to connect to the DB locally.

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Jan 23 '14, 4:12 a.m.
Hello Brian,

since the DW database you want to connect to is in another server it needs  be cataloged:

From "Setting up the system that will host the report server"
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m5/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrdi.admin.doc/topics/t_prereq_reportalserver.html

DB2: catalog the database and the remote instance on the report server system. See Cataloging database systems for version 9.5, Cataloging database systems for version 9.7, and Adding DB2 systems and IMSplexes, instances, and databases to the object tree.
Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.