It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using scm and jbe in USS...

Chris Taylor (1654) | asked Jul 27 '11, 10:31 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,

I recently tried to use the SCM command line and Jazz Build Engine to manage source code and builds of an existing UNIX-compatible code-base...in the Unix System Services environment on a z/OS mainframe :shock:. The results were a bit unexpected.

One major sticking point is that the SCM command line extracts files encoded as text...in ASCII. Since USS utilities expect text to be EBCDIC encoded it's impossible to edit using any of the text editors available to me. Similar story for attempts to compile source or run checked-in shell or Perl scripts.

Another issue is that since Jazz Builds use the same SCM support, they too extract in ASCII. A bit of a surprise, though, is that ANT builds actually work with this setup. But to clarify, only ant itself works and only with ant scripts encoded in ASCII: Any attempt to run programs other than ant don't do too well.

I can think of a few workarounds, but am wondering if this usage pattern was actually tested and what approaches came out of said testing. In short, how are JBE and SCM intended to be used on USS?

- chris

12 answers

permanent link
John Riendeau (46626) | answered Sep 21 '11, 1:13 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Claudio,

There's not a real easy way (that I know of) to verify the version of the RBA build engine from the Eclipse/web UI. But if you repeat the test I had you do to find the version of the fileagent plugin, the one that ships with V3.0.1 (and which you should hopefully see after the upgrade) is: com.ibm.teamz.fileagent_1.1.0.v20110602_1036.jar

- John

permanent link
Claudio Fusi (3111) | answered Sep 21 '11, 2:20 p.m.
Hi Claudio,

There's not a real easy way (that I know of) to verify the version of the RBA build engine from the Eclipse/web UI. But if you repeat the test I had you do to find the version of the fileagent plugin, the one that ships with V3.0.1 (and which you should hopefully see after the upgrade) is: com.ibm.teamz.fileagent_1.1.0.v20110602_1036.jar

- John

Thanks a lot!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.