It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Internal error "Install Packages" installing calm

Harry Koehnemann (30125238) | asked Jun 29 '11, 1:13 a.m.
I have tried multiple time installing CALM 3.0.1 on Windows 7 64bit and always receive the following error. I've tried the web install and the bundled download. I realize Windows 7 64 is not supported, but know folks (including IBMers) who have installed successfully so am looking for some help.

These installs have also corrupted my Installation Manager (IM). I now see several Jazz Team Server with %Offering.name packages. If I select any to delete, they give an error dialog "No metadata found for installed UI com.ibm.team.install.jfs.base.scripts.repotools..repotools.scripts.32 999.999.999.-1065862187" The double dots in the paths above and below give me some concern. Are they normal?

Any ideas? Not sure how to install and then I am really in trouble on the uninstall.

many thanks!

An internal error occurred during: "Install Packages". java.lang.IllegalStateException: No metadata found for installed IU com.ibm.team.install.jfs.base.internal.main..post-install-fixup.xml 999.999.999.1841123726.
<stack>com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.core.InstallRegistry$ProfileInstallRegistry.getInstalledIU(InstallRegistry.java:1064)</stack>
<stack>com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.core.InstallRegistry$ContextInstallRegistry.getInstalledIU(InstallRegistry.java:845)</stack>
<stack>com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.core.InstallRegistry$ContextInstallRegistry.getInstalledIU(InstallRegistry.java:845)</stack>
<stack>com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.core.InstallRegistry$ContextInstallRegistry.addInstalledIUs(InstallRegistry.java:834)</stack>
<stack>com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.core.InstallRegistry$ProfileInstallRegistry.getAllInstalledIUs(InstallRegistry.java:1318)</stack>
<stack>com.ibm.cic.agent.core.CacheManager$Cleanup.getNeededArtifactsUncached(CacheManager.java:4613)</stack>
<stack>com.ibm.cic.agent.core.CacheManager$Cleanup.getArtifactsToKeepUncached(CacheManager.java:4649)</stack>
<stack>com.ibm.cic.agent.core.CacheManager$Cleanup.getArtifactsToKeep(CacheManager.java:4577)</stack>

9 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jun 29 '11, 3:59 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Harry,

despite the warning clients and servers work on Windows 7. The configuration is just not officially supported since Win7 is no server OS.

I am not sure what causes your issue. Have you installed other applications with the Installation Manager? You could try to upgrade IM to the latest version. Or could you uninstall and reinstall IM?

I have seen IM causing trouble if applications installed with IM being physically deleted on disk. The only way I found to get rid of those I found was to supply the few folders and files IM expected to be able to do the uninstall.

permanent link
Harry Koehnemann (30125238) | answered Jun 29 '11, 9:27 a.m.
Thanks for the quick response Ralph. I am using IM 4.4 which I think is the latest. I manually deleted the Jazz Team Server files *after* IM would not delete them - giving the "no metadata found for installed UI com.ibm.team.install.jfs.base.scripts.repotools..repotools.scripts" error.

It appears there are metadata files not being copied for the post-install and the uninstall. I also wonder is the double dots in the java-looking paths for those are normal?

com.ibm.team.install.jfs.base.scripts.repotools..repotools.scripts
com.ibm.team.install.jfs.base.internal.main..post-install-fixup.xml

I've had so many IMs installed I wonder if there is a version problem. I will un-install IM and see if it cleans out the regisry of all the "%Offering.name" JTSs it thinks are installed. Otherwise I may need to reload WIndows - Uggg.

Anyone have a zip for a standard CLM JTS install for "localhost"??? I long for the days of the zip install...

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jun 29 '11, 9:39 a.m.
Thanks for the quick response Ralph. I am using IM 4.4 which I think is the latest. I manually deleted the Jazz Team Server files *after* IM would not delete them - giving the "no metadata found for installed UI com.ibm.team.install.jfs.base.scripts.repotools..repotools.scripts" error.

It appears there are metadata files not being copied for the post-install and the uninstall. I also wonder is the double dots in the java-looking paths for those are normal?

I've had so many IMs installed I wonder if there is a version problem. I will un-install IM and see if it cleans out the regisry of all the "%Offering.name" JTSs it thinks are installed. Otherwise I may need to reload WIndows - Uggg.

Anyone have a zip for a standard CLM JTS install for "localhost"??? I long for the days of the zip install...

Hi Harry,

being in the comfortable position not to have the error, I can't tell if the " is normal. I find it disturbing too. I am not sure if that could be an issue, but maybe a newer Java VM works better?

The IM version suggested to install CLM was 1.4.3, I think, not sure.

Uninstalling IM should work. I haven't done it for some time, but if you hunt down information left on the file system (also in user profiles) you should be able to reinstall. Reinstalling Windows seems to be a bit drastic.

There is no ZIP install for the servers anymore. The reason essentially is that different deployments for new install or upgrades require installing files with different folder and file names. It would be too complicated and error prone to let a user do that.

permanent link
Harry Koehnemann (30125238) | answered Jun 29 '11, 9:40 a.m.
Of course, the Installation Manager is so smart it won't uninstall itself unless all the packages it installed are also uninstalled. But these JTS installations failed and didn't copy the "metadata" to uninstall (4 of them now).

Looks like I need to:

1) Get a copy of a clean JTS as a zip so IM can uninstall them.
2) manually remove the IM entries - are tehy in the registry? XML file?
3) reload Windows and expect the standard IM will work properly. But that is quite a committment.

Recommendations?!?!

permanent link
Esmael Beydoun (31) | answered Jun 29 '11, 9:56 a.m.
If we install Jazz Server with Tomcat application RTC and later decide to install RQM and RRM using Websphere, is this compatible or even possible?

We are in the process of deciding our CLM configuration.
The two tools, RQM and RRM are being considered.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jun 29 '11, 10:20 a.m.
Of course, the Installation Manager is so smart it won't uninstall itself unless all the packages it installed are also uninstalled. But these JTS installations failed and didn't copy the "metadata" to uninstall (4 of them now).

Looks like I need to:

1) Get a copy of a clean JTS as a zip so IM can uninstall them.
2) manually remove the IM entries - are tehy in the registry? XML file?
3) reload Windows and expect the standard IM will work properly. But that is quite a committment.

Recommendations?!?!

Hi Harry, I would try to just fake the base folders and the XML file. If you tell me which one it complains about I could send you the file too. Just send me an e-mail.

There are entries in the registry which are easy enough to find searching for InstallationManager. The bigger issues are files left in user profiles.

You could also create a work item so that development can help.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jun 29 '11, 10:32 a.m.
If we install Jazz Server with Tomcat application RTC and later decide to install RQM and RRM using Websphere, is this compatible or even possible?

We are in the process of deciding our CLM configuration.
The two tools, RQM and RRM are being considered.

Hi Esmael, you should try to post a new topic rather than add to this discussion.

The answer is, it does not matter which infrastructure you start with Tomcat/Websphere you can even use a hybride infrastructure. You can migrate between infrastructures or redeploy.

What IS important is that once you have set the topology and chose ports and URI's you currently can't change that anymore. So it is important to read http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/c_deployment_considerations.html carefully and carefully plan the topology to be flexible later. Machine names, URL's, Ports (you need several if you want to run on WAS and Tomcat on one machine), use virtual hosts one for each application or proxys etc. are the critical factors and need planning.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jun 29 '11, 3:49 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi

Have you tried running IM (or Launchpad) using a command shell run as Administrator? I have used this to install multiple installs via IM on my machine.

Also - avoid installing in the defualt Program Files (x86) directory - use something like \IBM

This may help here....

anthony

permanent link
Harry Koehnemann (30125238) | answered Jun 30 '11, 11:50 a.m.
Thanks Anthony,

I have been launching IM as the administrator (right-click < Run as administrator). And don't install tools in Program Files and (ironically) I do use C:\IBM :).

I am ot sure what the issue is.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.