It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Tool section criteria

David Ng (1665) | asked Jun 23 '11, 9:38 a.m.
RTC version: 2.0.0.2

Both Subversion and RTC are endorsed where I am, I want to come up with a criteria for tool selection and not be branded a fanboy of any particular tool. So I really appreciate any idea and feedback here.

Understand that SVN can be used in the RTC client taking advantage of work items. I guess only contributor license will be consumed for this, right? At least all work are managed in the same way - through work items. With RTC, there is process, notion of components and repository level workspace (which promotes frequent checkin) and access control through teams.

On the other hand, SVN attracts no license cost, simple, and has strong CLI interface and integration, etc.

Appreciate all ideas! Thanks.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jun 27 '11, 6:46 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
RTC version: 2.0.0.2

Both Subversion and RTC are endorsed where I am, I want to come up with a criteria for tool selection and not be branded a fanboy of any particular tool. So I really appreciate any idea and feedback here.

Understand that SVN can be used in the RTC client taking advantage of work items. I guess only contributor license will be consumed for this, right? At least all work are managed in the same way - through work items. With RTC, there is process, notion of components and repository level workspace (which promotes frequent checkin) and access control through teams.

On the other hand, SVN attracts no license cost, simple, and has strong CLI interface and integration, etc.

Appreciate all ideas! Thanks.

Hi,

to my knowledge the RTC/SVN integration for work items is only manual - you have to type the number.

I am obviously biased 8-)

With respect to RTC I like the possible automation RTC can provide integrating source code and work items.
I really like the way RTC repository workspaces allow both sharing and isolation on the server, also suspending and resuming changes if something I find valuable. The choice with SCM systems having only the option to have local changes and a stream/branch on the server is only a complete private branch or to manually manage multiple workspaces. A private branch potentially leads to more merge work for integration many workspaces makes it hard to know where certain changes are and impossible to share work in progress between users and machines.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.