It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

subdirectory patterns in .jazzignore?

Scott Kurz (2611) | asked Jun 14 '11, 11:09 a.m.
Say I have a tree with, for example's sake, a subtree like:

a
|__b1
| |__ c1
| |__ c2
|__b2
|__c3
|__c4

and I wish to ignore c2 and c4 from SCM.

Is there a .jazzignore I can add under 'a' to make this happen?

It can't simply refer to (unqualified) 'c2' or 'c4' since those may appear elsewhere in the tree (not shown) but I only want to ignore a/b1/c2, a/b2/c4.

I realize I can use .jazzignore under b1 and b2 simply enough to make this happen... however, in my case there is some value having all the ignored folders in one place (under 'a') for simple reference...rather than having to find them nested at all different subdir levels.

However, things like this don't seem to help any in a's .jazzignore:

core.ignore.recursive = {b1/c2}

Thanks

Comments
Darrell Reich commented Mar 18 '16, 7:25 p.m. | edited Jul 22 '17, 2:36 p.m.

How can we vote up this suggestion? I get error requires minimum reputation.

Lots of confused/frustrated users on the jazzignore topic thread. The official jazzignore documentation does not match the comments in the .jazzignore text file. The most important omission is the patterns are Case Sensitive so we had to list {temp}, {TEMP}, {Temp}, {tmp} on our Windows box in each jazzignore file for each directory that has a subdirectory to be ignored. Setting up jazzignore files is becoming a full time job for the CM. Our project code needs to be refactored to use java File get Temp name and write to %TEMP% aka $TMP environmental variable and stay out of the RTC tree to declutter all of this mess.

I never thought I'd miss Microsoft SourceSafe or ClearCase but not having the files checked in marked read-only makes it even harder to figure out the important ones from the local temp fluff. The old RTC Eclipse client doesn't work offline and our development is in the new Eclipse so having two Eclipse running at the same time doesn't put the integrated in IDE. We're all hijackers now.

Lots of comparisons have been made to how free opensource tools like svn and git ignore files have more powerful regular expressions. Not feeling very Agile today. We're about to upgrade from RTC jazz 5.0.2 to 6. The tool seems to be taking over our project development. We just got told we can't check in large files and the build will not be checked in but downloaded from a separate build server during continuous integration while we watch the metronome slowly refresh the ignores. They are trying to check in zip files into revision control. This is crazy and poorly documented.

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 10 '13, 3:43 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
To my knowledge, you can only put filename patterns in your .jazzignore file, not pathname patterns.   Which unfortunately means you cannot do what you want to do ... if the filename pattern should only apply to certain directories, you'll have to add that pattern to the .jazzignore file in those directories.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Jun 14 '11, 12:16 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

you can click on the folders and add them to the ignore list. In the dialog you have options that you can use to specify what you want. Does that dialog not provide you with the necessary options?

Thanks,

Ralph

Comments
Scott Kurz commented Jun 14 '11, 12:38 p.m. | edited Mar 10 '13, 3:39 p.m.

I can get the files ignored easily enough .. I can shift+RightClick multiple folders and ignore easily via the wizard.

But I end up with the .jazzignore files scattered throughout the tree...which is what I was trying to avoid.

Is there a way to do this in a top-level .jazzignore?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.