It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

using VMs

Eric Briere (411213) | asked Apr 27 '11, 2:30 p.m.
Hi,

We have some scenarios where we want to restore Virtual Machines to a clean state, run an installshield script on the machine and run our test cases on the installed component.

We created a bunch of tools and Functional Tester scripts to implement this. Everything is fine when we run test cases in sequence one by one in Quality Manager.

Our problems start when using test suites. We sequence the test cases in the Suite, select the adaptors from each test case (they can be running on different machines) and start the suite. We see some cases where the adaptor is changed from what ever is was selected to "localhost" which of course is not a valid adaptor. The test case just sits there waiting and blocking the complete suite to move forward.

We get similar picture when using schedule as well. So two questions:

1- Somebody else ever saw this?
2- What is the good way to install RTF adaptor on a VM so it starts working after a VM restore? Now we take snapshots of the VMs having the adaptor in a running state. When we restore the VM, the adapator reconnects to RQM and RQM sees it as valid (green state). It's working fine when we run test cases individually. However, this seems to break the Test suites.

We have RQM Rational Quality Manager 2.0.1 iFix 5

2 answers

permanent link
Kurtis Martin (1.4k11) | answered Apr 28 '11, 5:56 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I haven't actually seen this before and I'm not sure the fact that you are running the adapter in a VM. My gut tells me that doesn't have anything to do with it. If you select an adapter on the run test suite dialog, then the adapter should pickup that request. RQM 2.0.1 iFix 5 is a little old. I recommend that you move to 2.0.1.1 iFix 3, which is the latest public release. It's a good chance that the issue has already been fixed.

permanent link
Eric Briere (411213) | answered May 04 '11, 10:55 a.m.
I haven't actually seen this before and I'm not sure the fact that you are running the adapter in a VM. My gut tells me that doesn't have anything to do with it. If you select an adapter on the run test suite dialog, then the adapter should pickup that request. RQM 2.0.1 iFix 5 is a little old. I recommend that you move to 2.0.1.1 iFix 3, which is the latest public release. It's a good chance that the issue has already been fixed.

I upgraded and did not do the trick. I worked around by taking VM snapshots with the adaptors down, and starting the adaptors on the fly using some test scripts and VM tools.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.