It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Some handle to bind/link in different versions of a test art

Shivanand Divekar (621112) | asked May 23 '12, 4:04 p.m.
The need is to be able to identify in RQM somehow that certain test cases are related to each other in a way that they are versions of a particular test case.

E.g. if all test cases which are versions of a test case share an id in common with original test case then I can filter out test cases on 'Browse Test Cases' screen based on this id.

Please let me know if anybody has done something like this.

2 answers

permanent link
Jerry Shengulette (63914) | answered May 24 '12, 2:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The need is to be able to identify in RQM somehow that certain test cases are related to each other in a way that they are versions of a particular test case.

E.g. if all test cases which are versions of a test case share an id in common with original test case then I can filter out test cases on 'Browse Test Cases' screen based on this id.

If you're looking for true source control versioning on test cases, that's not available.

If you're looking for a way to group related test cases, the simplest way might be to implement naming convention recognized across your group, something like: <testgroup><testobjective><uniquecounterid> "SVTTestAcctsRcvble1", "SVTTestAcctsRcvble2", etc. You could then just filter on the "testgroup" and only those cases would display.

If you're looking for something a little different, please provide a bit more detail.

permanent link
Shivanand Divekar (621112) | answered May 24 '12, 4:17 p.m.

If you're looking for true source control versioning on test cases, that's not available.

If you're looking for a way to group related test cases, the simplest way might be to implement naming convention recognized across your group, something like: <testgroup><testobjective><uniquecounterid> "SVTTestAcctsRcvble1", "SVTTestAcctsRcvble2", etc. You could then just filter on the "testgroup" and only those cases would display.

If you're looking for something a little different, please provide a bit more detail.

Thanks Jerry. I am looking for the same thing but in automated way rather to make it a part of manual process. I am wondering if there is any way to write pre / post trigger when a test case is created. I can have a custom attribute. And in a post trigger, I can copy the value of RQM generated ID if custom attribute is blank. Else when I duplicate the test case, the ID is also copied (not blank) so it will be left as it is. Here, assumption is that test case will be duplicated to create new version of test case only and not a brand new test case.

Does anybody think this is possible? Please let me know.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.