It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Installing and integrating RRC 2.0 into RTC 2.0 Server

Alex B (631) | asked Apr 25 '11, 4:42 p.m.
Hi,

in process of a academic project we decided to build up a IBM platform consisting of the RRC, RTC and RQM. We already installed RTC 2.0 and it's client version. All went fine.

Afterwars we tried to install RRC 2.0 Server Version. Unfortunately we have no clue how to integrate the RRC Server into the existing RTC Server. When we install it "normally" we get another instance of Tomcat running on our server. But this should not happen at all, i guess. Is there any guide or FAQ which makes this installation and integration to topic? I already tried to use the official installation guide, but with the result described above...

What about the database in the installation? Should the RRC Server use the same database as the RTC Server? If yes, will another scheme created automatically? - Because at this time, i have a little respect to extend the database of RTC, especially if I don't know for sure that it's really needed.

Thanks for your replies.
Greetings,
Alex

3 answers

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Apr 25 '11, 7:36 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

in process of a academic project we decided to build up a IBM platform consisting of the RRC, RTC and RQM. We already installed RTC 2.0 and it's client version. All went fine.

Afterwars we tried to install RRC 2.0 Server Version. Unfortunately we have no clue how to integrate the RRC Server into the existing RTC Server. When we install it "normally" we get another instance of Tomcat running on our server. But this should not happen at all, i guess. Is there any guide or FAQ which makes this installation and integration to topic? I already tried to use the official installation guide, but with the result described above...

What about the database in the installation? Should the RRC Server use the same database as the RTC Server? If yes, will another scheme created automatically? - Because at this time, i have a little respect to extend the database of RTC, especially if I don't know for sure that it's really needed.

Thanks for your replies.
Greetings,
Alex

In V2 products, a different server instance was needed, however this whitepaper describes how to install both RRC and RTC into the same application server

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/DeployingRationalRequirementComposerServerandRationalTeamConcertServerintothesameWebSphereApplicationServerorApacheTomcatServer

If you want to install the products on the same machine but different application servers there is this guidance that we used for smoke testing

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/CALMRTCRQMSmokeInstall

permanent link
Alex B (631) | answered Apr 26 '11, 10:45 a.m.
Thanks for your reply.

We installed RRC the 7th time now and started to lose our religion. Somehow the 7th installation worked for us without having any trouble. The mysterious thing on it, is that we did not effectively change anything which could have an effect to the installation process.

So... Now we could access the webinterface. While wondering that the title of the webinterface is Jazz Team Server instead of Rational Requirements Composer we were not able to log in into the "right" interface we just installed. It did not matter which link was called, it all lead to the same webinterface, the wrong one. We used a DB2 database, separated from the RTC database.

The first link you posted didn't work for us because Tomcat wasn't able to load any HTMLServlet class. We were not able to fix this problem, so we did a standalone installation again, as I said, 7 times.

Unfortunately there isn't any installation guide which helps us to get RRC and RTC married. IBM Rational promised high compatibility with their products and good support, but we didn't find anything of that to our pity.

Maybe someone could tell me when the 3.0 versions of the product palette will be released? - We would have installed those versions, but we need activation kits for them to use them for longer terms. I think the kits will be available as soon as version 3.0 is released. Earlier would be much better. :/

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Apr 27 '11, 11:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks for your reply.

We installed RRC the 7th time now and started to lose our religion. Somehow the 7th installation worked for us without having any trouble. The mysterious thing on it, is that we did not effectively change anything which could have an effect to the installation process.

So... Now we could access the webinterface. While wondering that the title of the webinterface is Jazz Team Server instead of Rational Requirements Composer we were not able to log in into the "right" interface we just installed. It did not matter which link was called, it all lead to the same webinterface, the wrong one. We used a DB2 database, separated from the RTC database.

The first link you posted didn't work for us because Tomcat wasn't able to load any HTMLServlet class. We were not able to fix this problem, so we did a standalone installation again, as I said, 7 times.

Unfortunately there isn't any installation guide which helps us to get RRC and RTC married. IBM Rational promised high compatibility with their products and good support, but we didn't find anything of that to our pity.

Maybe someone could tell me when the 3.0 versions of the product palette will be released? - We would have installed those versions, but we need activation kits for them to use them for longer terms. I think the kits will be available as soon as version 3.0 is released. Earlier would be much better. :/

Hi Alex,

I am sorry the difficulty you have been having with the installation.

Installation of RRC and RTC is much, much simpler with the newer version, as described in Erich Gamma's Team Blog

http://jazz.net/blog/index.php/2011/03/29/clm-beta-3-now-available/

In regards to the release of the next versions of RRC and RTC, it is our intention to release them in this quarter (2011 Q2), as described in the RRC Release Plan

http://jazz.net/projects/rational-requirements-composer/release-plan/

Also you can see from the RRC download page we already have Release Candidate 1 available:

https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-requirements-composer/

with another Release Candidate, soon to be available, so we are getting close. Exacts dates cannot be stated at this time.

The trial licenses available with these Release Candidate downloads are typically 60 days. Please note that migration of data between milestone releases is not supported.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.