It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Controlling Access to reports

Mohan K M (1111511) | asked Mar 28 '11, 5:06 a.m.
Hi All,
Am using RTC v3.0; I have a requirement to restrict access to the newly created custom BIRT reports only to defined set of people. I understand while deploying project templates to the server, we have an option to select the Team Area to which this template to be associated. But observed that all these templates deployed to server, irrespective of team areas selected are visible to all the people. I was under the impression that the access level set at the report template level will get inherited to the reports created out of them; Which does not seem to be the case. For eg., i have created twp reports 'A' & 'B'; Have created two teams 'Team A' & 'Team B' (with different contributors selected). while deploying the report templates consciously selected respective teams.

'Report A' template to Team A
'Report B' template to 'Team B'

And as an administrator also created reports out of them and made it available under Shared Reports folder. But logging on to the web client shows me all the report templates and all the shared reports, irrespective of team contributor belongs to (Have tried with normal contributors who do not have any admin/jazzadmin privilege). Am I missing something here? Any pointer/guidance in this direction would really be of great help. Thanks

Thanks & Regards,
Mohan

One answer

permanent link
James Moody (3.3k24) | answered Apr 07 '11, 7:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi All,
Am using RTC v3.0; I have a requirement to restrict access to the newly created custom BIRT reports only to defined set of people. I understand while deploying project templates to the server, we have an option to select the Team Area to which this template to be associated. But observed that all these templates deployed to server, irrespective of team areas selected are visible to all the people. I was under the impression that the access level set at the report template level will get inherited to the reports created out of them; Which does not seem to be the case. For eg., i have created twp reports 'A' & 'B'; Have created two teams 'Team A' & 'Team B' (with different contributors selected). while deploying the report templates consciously selected respective teams.

'Report A' template to Team A
'Report B' template to 'Team B'

And as an administrator also created reports out of them and made it available under Shared Reports folder. But logging on to the web client shows me all the report templates and all the shared reports, irrespective of team contributor belongs to (Have tried with normal contributors who do not have any admin/jazzadmin privilege). Am I missing something here? Any pointer/guidance in this direction would really be of great help. Thanks

Thanks & Regards,
Mohan

Mohan,

Your observations are correct, the granularity of the view permission for reports is project-wide, so it cannot be effectively used as a per-team read permission story.

james
RTC Reports Team Lead

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.