It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

snapshot in both streams when workspace has mult flow trgts?

Rick Chapman (7111312) | asked Feb 21 '11, 2:48 p.m.
I am considering setting up a workspace with multiple flow targets so that a single build can be done using the source from two different streams. This is the way a customer wants to do it. My question is, with this setup, which uses the ant toolkit to do the accept, fetch, etc., when the changes are accepted, thus loading the workspace and creating a snapshot, will a snapshot be created in each stream? For recreatability purposes, I think a snapshot in each stream is necessary else how would you be able to get the same exact build source again in the future, if needed.

3 answers

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Feb 22 '11, 11:40 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am considering setting up a workspace with multiple flow targets so that a single build can be done using the source from two different streams. This is the way a customer wants to do it. My question is, with this setup, which uses the ant toolkit to do the accept, fetch, etc., when the changes are accepted, thus loading the workspace and creating a snapshot, will a snapshot be created in each stream? For recreatability purposes, I think a snapshot in each stream is necessary else how would you be able to get the same exact build source again in the future, if needed.

Snapshots can only exist in one place. Creating a snapshot on a stream would put it in the stream by default. If you create a snapshot of your workspace after accepting the changes from both streams, the snapshot will be held by the workspace.

What I suggest is creating a third stream to integrate the changes from the two streams. Run the build from the integration stream and the build will create a snapshot for you.

permanent link
Rick Chapman (7111312) | answered Feb 22 '11, 12:08 p.m.
Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't realize snapshots could be made of various objects. I think what is happening is the teamAccept is making a snapshot of the workspace which, if set to flow with multiple streams, will save the data from both streams. If that's true then that's exactly what I need assuming I can later load my workspace from that workspace snapshot thus being able to exactly recreate that build.

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Feb 23 '11, 8:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't realize snapshots could be made of various objects. I think what is happening is the teamAccept is making a snapshot of the workspace which, if set to flow with multiple streams, will save the data from both streams. If that's true then that's exactly what I need assuming I can later load my workspace from that workspace snapshot thus being able to exactly recreate that build.

Yes, the workspace used for the build will have the snapshot so it will be very easy to recreate. There is also a link in the build result to the workspace used and the snapshot that was created. The snapshot can be used to seed a new workspace or stream.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.