It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

You don't have permission to Save Component [server].

Jirong Hu (1.5k9295258) | asked Feb 15 '11, 9:50 p.m.
I am log into repository connection as the admin user. I got the above error when try to rename the default component under source control., why?

1. How can I create a new component/stream?
2. How to add additional components to a stream?
3. In the pic (see URL), what are these public component RST and RFT (I created them but forget how)? What's different from the default component in the stream?

I am an experienced CC admin and learning RTC now.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_GsJI1jtjTyk/TVs6AkrP2_I/AAAAAAAAEMM/efHcwhJvx2w/s800/rmcomp.png

Thanks
Jirong

5 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Feb 16 '11, 4:21 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Jirong,

the issue you are having is probably that you have no role in the project/team area. Being administrator does not give you the permission to do everything. It however gives you the permission to give you a role and set the permissions for the role in the process configuration that you can do what you desire.

Once you have full permission for the action on the object you can do what you desire. these articles area a good resource to understand how that works in RTC: http://jazz.net/library/article/292, http://jazz.net/library/article/291.

Thanks,

Ralph

I am log into repository connection as the admin user. I got the above error when try to rename the default component under source control., why?

1. How can I create a new component/stream?
2. How to add additional components to a stream?
3. In the pic (see URL), what are these public component RST and RFT (I created them but forget how)? What's different from the default component in the stream?

I am an experienced CC admin and learning RTC now.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_GsJI1jtjTyk/TVs6AkrP2_I/AAAAAAAAEMM/efHcwhJvx2w/s800/rmcomp.png

Thanks
Jirong

permanent link
Jirong Hu (1.5k9295258) | answered Feb 16 '11, 9:37 a.m.
Thank you very much for the info. This way is very much like CQ ALM access control. But I can find the permission to create a new stream in the project area. Can you point me where is it?

However, it's very weird that a project administrator can't do anything. I assume a project admin should be able to do all admin work.

Jirong

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Feb 16 '11, 9:46 a.m.
Hi,

the admin, as everyone, has to follow the rules that apply to the object in its context.

I guess to prevent the admin from accidentally doing something completely wrong it is a good idea to have him follow the rules as well. If he needs permissions, he can give himself a role and provide the permissions to the role. In this case he overrides the permissions.

One example of things that in a productive environment might be a good idea not to have the permission to is to archive things such as projects.

Also, the admin might be a normal user most of the time. He could stay to the rules all the time. If needed he can give himself a role with more permissions and do what is needed.

It might be a good idea to create an administrative role that you can assign to you.

Just my thoughts,

Ralph

Thank you very much for the info. This way is very much like CQ ALM access control.

However, it's very weird that a project administrator can't do anything. I assume a project admin should be able to do all admin work.

Jirong

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Feb 16 '11, 9:54 a.m.
Oh, forgot that:

You can go to the administration pages of the Jazz/CCM server and open the project for administration. You can also use the eclipse client and open the project by right clicking on the project in the team artifacts view and select open. In both cases there are tabs to make you a member of the project and give you a role/create a new one.

There is also a process configuration tab or some other tab where you can give your role the permissions for the project and the team areas.

Ralph

Thank you very much for the info. This way is very much like CQ ALM access control. But I can find the permission to create a new stream in the project area. Can you point me where is it?

Jirong

permanent link
Jirong Hu (1.5k9295258) | answered Feb 16 '11, 9:59 a.m.
Found it, it's in the team configurations.

Thanks
Jirong

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.