It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Change log

Weilim Er (4612013) | asked Feb 10 '11, 10:12 a.m.
Can I know how is it possible to generate change log file from each build release? Thanks.

4 answers

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered Feb 10 '11, 11:15 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Can I know how is it possible to generate change log file from each build release? Thanks.

Hi, these links might answer your question...

Jazz Build provides an Ant build toolkit which contains Ant tasks that communicate build status and results to the Jazz Team Server.

To use these Ant tasks in your scripts, from installdir/buildsystem/buildtoolkit/BuildToolkitTaskDefs.xml, where installdir is the location where you installed the Ant build toolkit, copy the various taskdef entries in the BuildToolkitTaskDefs.xml file to your project's Ant script. You can also use your Ant script to import the taskdef file.

Here is a link to the help file about our various Ant scripts:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.team.build.doc/topics/r_ant-tasks.html

To answer your question directly though, in RTC 3.0 we added an Ant task called "generateChangeLog".

The generateChangeLog task compares two snapshots to generate a list of change sets, added components, and removed components. You can use the logPublisher task to publish the change log file to a specific build result.

See this page for details:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.team.build.doc/topics/r_generatechangelog.html

If you are unfamiliar with Jazz Build, it might help to go through some of the "user level" build documents located on the Build Wiki Page:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BuildMain

It is also possible to generate a change log from within the RTC Eclipse rich client. From a build result --> Overview tab --> "Contribution Summary" section --> you can click on "Show changes". This will open up the "Change Explorer" and show you the change sets / baselines that went into the build. From there you can click on the view menu (down arrow) and select "Save Change Log". This will bring up a dialog which allows you to customize what will be included in the generated change log file.

permanent link
Weilim Er (4612013) | answered Feb 10 '11, 11:24 a.m.
Fantastic reply. Thank you! Just one more thing, is what you described above also available in Visual Studio client?

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered Feb 10 '11, 11:38 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Fantastic reply. Thank you! Just one more thing, is what you described above also available in Visual Studio client?

The Ant tasks can be used by both Visual Studio and Eclipse, it's just a matter of setting up what ever build script you are using to call out to the Ant tasks...

I don't believe the equivalent of "Change Explorer view" --> "view menu icon" --> "Save Change Log" --> "Save Change Log Dialog" is available in Visual Studio... but I will get back to you when I find out if it is.

permanent link
Krishna Kishore (50112) | answered Feb 11 '11, 4:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Their is no equivalent of "Change Explorer view" --> "view menu icon" --> "Save Change Log" --> "Save Change Log Dialog" in Visual Studio client, the ant call back "generateChangeLog" with "logPublisher" can the used to generate and upload the change log file. If you are using the MSBuild definition the article http://jazz.net/library/article/518/ explains how to add ant call backs as pre/post build events of VS projects.

The Ant tasks can be used by both Visual Studio and Eclipse, it's just a matter of setting up what ever build script you are using to call out to the Ant tasks...

I don't believe the equivalent of "Change Explorer view" --> "view menu icon" --> "Save Change Log" --> "Save Change Log Dialog" is available in Visual Studio... but I will get back to you when I find out if it is.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.