It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Changing a custom attribute type within a project area

Geoff Alexander (19623947) | asked Aug 15 '10, 10:05 p.m.
Under the Process Configuration tab of a process template, I can simply edit a custom attribute to change its Name, ID, and Type. However under the Process Configuration tab of a project area, editing a custom attribute only allows me to change the attribute's Name.

How can I change the attribute's type in the project area? I'm merging a process template update into an existing project area by updating the project area's process configuration XML. This didn't result in any errors for the changed attributes. However, I get errors on presentations for the changed attributes. For example, when I changed a custom attribute's type from Small String to Timestamp, I get the following error on the attribute's presentation:

Kind 'Timestamp' does not support attribute 'createDate' of type 'smallString'. Supported attribute types are: timestamp.

When I view the CreateDate attribute in the Project Configuration tab, I see its type as Timestamp. However, the presentation error message implies that the CreateDate attribute's type is still the old type of Small String; that is, the createDate attribute's type is not really changed to Timestamp even though no error is given on the Process Configuration -> Work Items -> Type and Attributes -> Custom Attributes.

Thanks,
Geoff Alexander

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.