It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Work Item Import - is there a log file?

Robin Parker (32633738) | asked Jan 06 '11, 8:30 a.m.
Hi all,

I remember with ClearQuest, not only would you get a log file of your import, all of the records that didn't get imported got shuffled off into a separate CSV file for you to try importing again once any problems were resolved.

I've tried doing some importing from CSV in RTC and can find no log file - in fact virtually no feedback at all.

Can anyone point me in it's direction or should I raise an enhancement request?

Many Thanks,

Robin Parker

7 answers

permanent link
Gerry Cullen (4651) | answered Mar 09 '11, 11:27 p.m.
I'm running into a similar issue. I did find mention of turning on the Error Log in http://jazz.net/library/article/391:

Make sure that you are displaying the error log so that you can see the invalid ID errors. To display the error log in the RTC CQ Importer, select Window > Show View > Other > General > Error Log.

The error log displays an error in the following form to indicate that the CQ records contain an ID (e-mail address) that is not a valid user in the RTC server.

The user "fred@example.com" is not authorized to perform the operation. The "JazzAdmins" role is required to perform this operation.

The only error I see is when the import tries to save the work item. My problem is occurring with the data not being mapped/imported as I expect, but there's nothing telling me what's going on during the import, so I'm left to guess by hacking up the custom data mapping XML file.

The field I'm having trouble with is "Filed Against", which ties to the work item categories. I'm trying to map CQ components to multi-level work item categories in a manner other than the default Product/Component. I'm not sure where I'm messing up the mapping. Since this field is required, the save always fails.

Would be nice to be able to enable debugging, perhaps with a flag in the mapping.xml file, that spits out which CQ values are being mapped to which RTC values prior to the saving of the record being attempted.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 10 '11, 2:31 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I haven't done this for a while but I was typically most successful when starting small. I tried to import only one or two items into a test project. This allows to play with the mapping in a controlled fashion.

One thing you could try on a test server too, is to make "filed against" not required. This would help to get at least that issue resolved and possibly get some data to look at and expand on. Then you could play with the "filed against" mapping.

I am not sure there is more logging available, I'd check in the Eclipse workspaces .metadata directory. You could create a work item to ask for more logging too.

Ralph

I'm running into a similar issue. I did find mention of turning on the Error Log in http://jazz.net/library/article/391:

Make sure that you are displaying the error log so that you can see the invalid ID errors. To display the error log in the RTC CQ Importer, select Window > Show View > Other > General > Error Log.

The error log displays an error in the following form to indicate that the CQ records contain an ID (e-mail address) that is not a valid user in the RTC server.

The user "fred@example.com" is not authorized to perform the operation. The "JazzAdmins" role is required to perform this operation.

The only error I see is when the import tries to save the work item. My problem is occurring with the data not being mapped/imported as I expect, but there's nothing telling me what's going on during the import, so I'm left to guess by hacking up the custom data mapping XML file.

The field I'm having trouble with is "Filed Against", which ties to the work item categories. I'm trying to map CQ components to multi-level work item categories in a manner other than the default Product/Component. I'm not sure where I'm messing up the mapping. Since this field is required, the save always fails.

Would be nice to be able to enable debugging, perhaps with a flag in the mapping.xml file, that spits out which CQ values are being mapped to which RTC values prior to the saving of the record being attempted.

permanent link
Thomas Loeber (62237750) | answered Mar 10 '11, 8:57 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks Ralph. I'm working with Gerry on this and we are just trying to import one defect record. The category mapping we are doing is the simple form as shown in in this https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/CQImportWizardTips wiki article like this...
<attribute>

We have the Category setup which mappings EXACTLY to the CQ Product/Component concatenation. Looks like this
DATASTAGE TX/ADAPTER ORACLE AQ

We could really use some help from the CQ Importer Folks at this point.

permanent link
Thomas Loeber (62237750) | answered Mar 10 '11, 9:03 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks Ralph. I'm working with Gerry on this and we are just trying to import one defect record. The category mapping we are doing is the simple form as shown in in this https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/CQImportWizardTips wiki article like this...
<attribute>

We have the Category setup which mappings EXACTLY to the CQ Product/Component concatenation. Looks like this

Looks like the xml mapping example didn't post correctly, but in the wki document thye have an example on simple mapping a CQ Product/Component to the category attribute and that's what we have done.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 10 '11, 9:06 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Thomas,

just one question, did you create the category you want to map to in RTC? I am not sure the import will create those automatically.

Just a thought.

Ralph

<attribute>

permanent link
Lorelei Ngooi (1.5k22) | answered Mar 10 '11, 11:45 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I took a look at your mapping file and you have two mappings to the work item category field (aka filed against). The first one has the concatenated fields which sounds like what you want.

<attribute sourceId="Product/Component" targetId="com.ibm.team.workitem.attribute.category"/>

The second one is probably from our sample mapping file.

<attribute sourceId="Project" targetId="com.ibm.team.workitem.attribute.category"/>

So, you want to keep the first mapping and remove the second. Your data file probably doesn't have a Project field and sending over an empty value for category.

permanent link
Thomas Loeber (62237750) | answered Mar 10 '11, 12:22 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I took a look at your mapping file and you have two mappings to the work item category field (aka filed against). The first one has the concatenated fields which sounds like what you want.

<attribute>

The second one is probably from our sample mapping file.

<attribute>

So, you want to keep the first mapping and remove the second. Your data file probably doesn't have a Project field and sending over an empty value for category.

Yes. We found that about 40 minutes ago. Our Bad.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.