It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I import Story workItems from CSV file to RTC?

Shviakumar Thirukkonda (1111) | asked Dec 14 '10, 9:49 a.m.
Hi Friends,

I'm trying to import a csv file containing some sample stories into RTC.

I've used the fields as mentioned in the DefaultMapping.xml file. Since the "Type" parameter is not mentioned in the xml mapping file, all stories are imported as Defects.

While the mapping itself is quite easy to understand, if I want to add the "Type" field to the mapping, which defines the type of the work item, I first need to know the correct class object for this mapping; next I need to know how the different types viz., Epic, Story, Defect, Task map internally.

Could anyone provide me the details for mapping the "Type" parameter and also generally how I could find this information by myself as I know there may be other fields as well which I may need to map.

The link http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rtc/v2r0m0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/t_importing_work_items_csv_file.html discusses this topic but not in the detail I require.

Thanks,
Shiva

4 answers

permanent link
Shviakumar Thirukkonda (1111) | answered Dec 14 '10, 10:08 a.m.
Further, the DefaultMapping.xml file says,
Limitations:
- Import of some attributes is still hard-coded
- Some attributes are not supported for import
Which are the attributes which are not supported and why!
Thanks,
Shiva

Hi Friends,

I've used the fields as mentioned in the DefaultMapping.xml file. Since the "Type" parameter is not mentioned in the xml mapping file, all stories are imported as Defects.

While the mapping itself is quite easy to understand, if I want to add the "Type" field to the mapping, which defines the type of the work item, I first need to know the correct class object for this mapping; next I need to know how the different types viz., Epic, Story, Defect, Task map internally.

Could anyone provide me the details for mapping the "Type" parameter and also generally how I could find this information by myself as I know there may be other fields as well which I may need to map.

The link http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rtc/v2r0m0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/t_importing_work_items_csv_file.html discusses this topic but not in the detail I require.

Thanks,
Shiva

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 15 '10, 7:25 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I can't tell you which attributes are hard coded. I will try to find someone who can. The why is most likely because of complexity and time. One I think only exports one result for example is the related artifacts.

I know that the type can be imported for sure. Best approach would be to create a query with the attributes you want and export that to excel. That'll give you the headline with the attribute Names you could use for import.

Ralph

Limitations:
Thanks,
Shiva

Hi Friends,

Thanks,
Shiva

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 15 '10, 7:27 a.m.
As an addition, to look up ID's I'd suggest to open the Process Customization view in Eclipse.

Hi,

I can't tell you which attributes are hard coded. I will try to find someone who can. The why is most likely because of complexity and time. One I think only exports one result for example is the related artifacts.

I know that the type can be imported for sure. Best approach would be to create a query with the attributes you want and export that to excel. That'll give you the headline with the attribute Names you could use for import.

Ralph

Limitations:
Thanks,
Shiva

Hi Friends,

Thanks,
Shiva

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 15 '10, 9:08 a.m.
Hi Shiva,

My summary (that is the way I usually approach this):

Start with exporting a query. Include the columns in the query that are of interest.
The headline of the CSV file will provide the name of the attribute.

You can also create a mapping from existing data, e.g. the export you just created.

If needed the ID's for attributes can be found in the Process Template too.

Sorry that I could not be more specific in my first approaches, I did not find the time to try it out myself.

Ralph

Hi Friends,

Thanks,
Shiva

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.