It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 3.0 client out of Perm Gen space

Harry Koehnemann (30125238) | asked Nov 24 '10, 11:44 a.m.
Is anyone else having issues w/ RTC 3.0 client running out of Perm Gen space? I get the error quickly after launch when I try to do just about anything. JConsole shows that space is gone. JConsole also shows it capped at 64M while the .ini file shows XXMaxPermSize set to 256M. I tried upping the XXMaxPermSize to 512M, and the max mem to 1G with no luck. JConsole always shows 64M.

I am going to reinstall and see if something went strange on the installation. On first launch, RTC spent a great deal of time loading Eclipse help and I wonder if I may have selected a wrong option.

Any ideas?

3 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Nov 24 '10, 11:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Is anyone else having issues w/ RTC 3.0 client running out of Perm Gen space? I get the error quickly after launch when I try to do just about anything. JConsole shows that space is gone. JConsole also shows it capped at 64M while the .ini file shows XXMaxPermSize set to 256M. I tried upping the XXMaxPermSize to 512M, and the max mem to 1G with no luck. JConsole always shows 64M.

I am going to reinstall and see if something went strange on the installation. On first launch, RTC spent a great deal of time loading Eclipse help and I wonder if I may have selected a wrong option.

Any ideas?

re: loading Eclipse help - it is possible you selected the option not to install the full help system when you installed the RTC client but rather install on initial launch. This would explain why your intial RTC client launch took some time.

I did select that option (on purpose) but did not see any space problems (Windows XP 32-bit with 2+ Gig of RAM but loads of another apps running).

anthony

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Nov 24 '10, 1:44 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Perm Gen space is usually only an issue when using the Sun/Oracle JREs, not IBM's (with which RTC ships). How are you invoking the client?

permanent link
Harry Koehnemann (30125238) | answered Nov 29 '10, 1:27 p.m.
I fixed this problem by using the zip client install. I think the root problem is I have to hack the Installation Manager to run in Windows 7 per another discussion forum - https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7176. I had to launch a DOS prompt as Administrator and run from there. So it may have picked up a different JVM on installation.

Once the 3.0 beta moved to the RCs, I have had a lot of problems installing with Windows 7. The solution for me appears to be to avoid IM w/ Windows 7 and use the zips.

Perm Gen space is usually only an issue when using the Sun/Oracle JREs, not IBM's (with which RTC ships). How are you invoking the client?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.