It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Moving work items between teams

Chris Kolde (2172) | asked Sep 23 '10, 8:52 a.m.
Is it possible to move a work item from one team area to another?

As an example scenario:

A defect is submitted and planned for Sprint 1. During the sprint planning meeting it is assigned to someone on the "DEV TEAM" so it can be investigated and fixed. Once the member of the "DEV TEAM" fixes the code and delivers it, I want to now move the defect over to the "TEST TEAM". Once there, the lead of the independent test team will assign the defect to an available tester on his team and the tester will validate and close the defect.

Thanks!

4 answers

permanent link
David Castellanos (20686) | answered Sep 23 '10, 11:36 a.m.

As an example scenario:

A defect is submitted and planned for Sprint 1. During the sprint planning meeting it is assigned to someone on the "DEV TEAM" so it can be investigated and fixed. Once the member of the "DEV TEAM" fixes the code and delivers it, I want to now move the defect over to the "TEST TEAM". Once there, the lead of the independent test team will assign the defect to an available tester on his team and the tester will validate and close the defect.

Thanks!

Hi Chris,

This is done in the 'Filed Against' field. You need to have categories set-up and associated with team areas. This is done in the 'Work item categories; tab in the Project Area view.

See: "What makes a Work Item appear on a Plan" http://jazz.net/library/article/203/ to find out more about how this information flows in RTC

permanent link
Chris Kolde (2172) | answered Sep 23 '10, 4:12 p.m.

As an example scenario:

Thanks!

Hi Chris,

This is done in the 'Filed Against' field. You need to have categories set-up and associated with team areas. This is done in the 'Work item categories; tab in the Project Area view.

See: "What makes a Work Item appear on a Plan" http://jazz.net/library/article/203/ to find out more about how this information flows in RTC

Hi David, thanks for the fast reply. Is there any way to do this without changing the Filed Against? The filed against is currently being used to make sure work on various functionality goes to the right team. I think it needs to stay the same regardless of whether the dev team or the test team currently is responsible for moving the work forward.

I am trying to avoid having mirrored categories between dev teams and test teams with slightly different names. I am also trying to avoid having to create separate "Develop" and "Test" child tasks of the defect to manage the overall workflow. It seems overly complicated.

-Chris

permanent link
The-Binh Le (3334) | answered Sep 23 '10, 4:39 p.m.

As an example scenario:

Thanks!

Hi Chris,

Hi David, thanks for the fast reply. Is there any way to do this without changing the Filed Against? The filed against is currently being used to make sure work on various functionality goes to the right team. I think it needs to stay the same regardless of whether the dev team or the test team currently is responsible for moving the work forward.

I am trying to avoid having mirrored categories between dev teams and test teams with slightly different names. I am also trying to avoid having to create separate "Develop" and "Test" child tasks of the defect to manage the overall workflow. It seems overly complicated.

-Chris

In the Planned For field, you specify the iteration that belongs to the team that works on the work item. This will automatically set the Team Area field to the team associated with the specified iteration. Hope this helps.

-TL

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 23 '10, 8:03 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
My personal view:

I strongly recommend that you have different tasks for developers and
testers. Work items in team concert are very lightweight to create and
easy to manipulate, so don't let the habits from "heavyweight" change
management systems define your behavior when using RTC. In addition to
avoiding the problems that you are encountering below, one of the most
important benefits of having separate test tasks from development tasks
is that you can start estimating and tracking your testing activities.
If you fold those activities into the development task, you cannot
distinguish the relative effort of development and testing, and you
cannot effectively manage the schedules and workload of your testers.
In addition, the state diagram of each work item becomes much simpler,
because with multi-owner tasks, you end up multiplying the number of
states by the number of owners, e.g. "development-done", "test-done",
"doc-done" etc.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 9/23/2010 4:22 PM, clkolde wrote:
david987wrote:
Is it possible to move a work item from
one team area to another?

As an example scenario:

A defect is submitted and planned for Sprint 1. During the sprint
planning meeting it is assigned to someone on the "DEV
TEAM" so it can be investigated and fixed. Once the member of
the "DEV TEAM" fixes the code and delivers it, I want to
now move the defect over to the "TEST TEAM". Once there,
the lead of the independent test team will assign the defect to an
available tester on his team and the tester will validate and close
the defect.

Thanks!

Hi Chris,

This is done in the 'Filed Against' field. You need to have categories
set-up and associated with team areas. This is done in the 'Work item
categories; tab in the Project Area view.

See: "What makes a Work Item appear on a Plan"
http://jazz.net/library/article/203/ to find out more about how this
information flows in RTC

Hi David, thanks for the fast reply. Is there any way to do this
without changing the Filed Against? The filed against is currently
being used to make sure work on various functionality goes to the
right team. I think it needs to stay the same regardless of whether
the dev team or the test team currently is responsible for moving the
work forward.

I am trying to avoid having mirrored categories between dev teams and
test teams with slightly different names. I am also trying to avoid
having to create separate "Develop" and "Test"
child tasks of the defect to manage the overall workflow. It seems
overly complicated.

-Chris

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.