It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC installer fails when started from a path that contains b

Michael Moser (1621) | asked Nov 13 '09, 9:08 a.m.
I had unpacked the RTC eclipse client installer (RTC-Eclipse-Client-2.0.0.2M3-Win32-Local.zip) to a directory with a path that contained a blank ("C:\Download\RTC (Rational Team Concert)" - yes, there are people who give their directories telling names!).

When subsequently trying to install I had the mysterious effect, that clicking the launchpad.exe did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Only digging into and analyzing this (and specifically uncommenting the @echo off) in line 1 of "...\rtc\launchpad\launpad.bat" yielded the reason: some command line in that .bat file isn't properly quoting path arguments and thus the blanks split the command line into fragments yielding an - alas, hidden - error message and an abort of the batch file.

Shouldn't such flaws be a thing of the past? I mean, it should been well known by now (and part of testing!) that there are OSses out there that allow users to specify pathnames containing blanks and hence all code should cater for that and arguments and paths need to be always properly quoted!

Is there some bugzilla or someone's ear, where I can report that, so that it gets fixed in future versions?

Michael

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Nov 17 '09, 7:23 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Michael,

you can always create a work item for RTC using RTC on this site. Go to Projects, Rational Team Concert and you can find several links included this one here: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=jazz.viewPage&id=com.ibm.team.workitem.

(RTC does not need a Bugzilla - RTC provides something better 8-))

Please don't hesitate to submit your defect.

Ralph

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.