It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problem checking in a file via Visual Studio

David Dulling (13731212) | asked Jul 09 '10, 3:46 a.m.
Attempting to check in a file via Visual Studio 2008 resulted in the following initial error "Error during Upload". The details are: -

Error message:
Error during upload
Failed to upload File /Software_test/TEST/Bae.Common/DD2.cs

Exception type:
com.ibm.team.repository.TeamRepositoryException
Exception message:
Error during upload
Failed to upload File /Software_test/TEST/Bae.Common/DD2.cs

Exception stack trace:
at com.ibm.team.foundation.service.WebRequestInvocationProxy.Invoke(IMessage myIMessage) in C:\RTC_BUILDS\I2002iFix3_20100528-1921\Foundation\ServiceInterfaceProxy\WebRequestInvocationProxy.cs:line 89
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.service.rest.IFilesystemRestClient.postCheckInChanges(ParmsCheckInChanges parms, IProgressMonitor progress)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.FilesystemClient.CheckInChanges(String cfa, ParmsCheckInChanges parms, IProgressMonitor monitor) in C:\RTC_BUILDS\I2002iFix3_20100528-1921\Filesystem\FilesystemClient\FilesystemClient.cs:line 1106
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.FilesystemClient.CheckInVersionables(String copyFileArea, String repositoryURL, String workspaceItemId, String componentItemId, String changeSetItemId, String newChangeSetComment, String[] versionablesToCheckIn, ParmsCommitDilemmaHandler commitDilemmaHandler, ParmsOutOfSyncInstructions outOfSyncDilemmaHandler, IProgressMonitor monitor) in C:\RTC_BUILDS\I2002iFix3_20100528-1921\Filesystem\FilesystemClient\FilesystemClient.cs:line 1022
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.operations.CheckInOperation.Run(IProgressMonitor monitor) in C:\RTC_BUILDS\I2002iFix3_20100528-1921\Filesystem\FilesystemClient\operations\CheckInOperation.cs:line 133
at com.ibm.team.foundation.ui.handlers.OperationCommandHandler.RunOperationInBackground(AbstractOperation operation, IProgressMonitor monitor) in C:\RTC_BUILDS\I2002iFix3_20100528-1921\Foundation\UiUtils\handlers\OperationCommandHandler.cs:line 40
at com.ibm.team.foundation.core.operationrunner.internalimpl.BackgroundWorkerImpl`2.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs args) in C:\RTC_BUILDS\I2002iFix3_20100528-1921\Foundation\Core\operationrunner\internalimpl\BackgroundWorkerImpl.cs:line 154
Status code:
Remote exception type:
com.ibm.team.repository.common.TeamRepositoryException
Request URI:
http://localhost:4014/service/com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.rest.IFilesystemRestClient/CheckInChanges
Remote stack trace:

Inner exception:
Exception type:
com.ibm.team.repository.TeamRepositoryException
Exception message:
Error during upload
Exception stack trace:
Status code:
Remote exception type:
com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.FileSystemClientException
Request URI:
http://localhost:4014/service/com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.rest.IFilesystemRestClient/CheckInChanges
Remote stack trace:

It's strange that it mentions "localhost" in there somewhere even though the connection is to a server.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

14 answers

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered Jul 09 '10, 6:40 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
David, here are the questions I've asked in the work item - would you have a look please?
Which version of RTC are you using?
Also, could you attach the error message from Eclipse to the work item?

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 09 '10, 7:59 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Whenever a work item is created for a forum discussion thread, it is
always a good idea to post the number of that work item into that
thread, so that interested folks can look it up and subscribe.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 7/9/2010 6:52 AM, sreerupa wrote:
David, here are the questions I've asked in the work item - would you
have a look please?
Which version of RTC are you using?
Also, could you attach the error message from Eclipse to the work
item?

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered Jul 13 '10, 12:40 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes you're right Geoff, I missed that. This was actually an old work item that David reopened https://jazzdev.torolab.ibm.com:9443/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/115809

And judging from his response, the problem may have gone away once he refreshed Pending Changes - I'm waitng for him to confirm that.

permanent link
David Dulling (13731212) | answered Jul 16 '10, 4:29 a.m.
Hi

I thought I'd try something today which has now resolved the problem. On the machine I'm testing with I also had ClearCase, ClearQuest and CCRC all with their VS2008 integrations loaded. I removed all but RTC's integration and I can now check in using VS.

Whether there's a potential problem with people potentiually having more than one Rational product integrating to VS I don't know but I'm happy for the moment :D

I'll update the work item

David

permanent link
Walter Mansur (63613017) | answered Jul 16 '10, 9:35 a.m.
We also saw error messages like this and you may also want to look at Work Item 111382. You can see that there is a lot of discussion around this issue. When the user who reported this issue ran into this, he just did an incremental "reload" and he was good to go after that. The RTC development team does have this Work Item in the "Triaged" state. So, they are looking into it.

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=111382

NOTE: The developers here only have Rational Team Concert (v2.0.0.2, iFix2) on their workstations. So, we don't have the potential "multiple Rational products integrating with VS on the same PC" issue. I can see where that may cause an issue.

-Walter

Hi

I thought I'd try something today which has now resolved the problem. On the machine I'm testing with I also had ClearCase, ClearQuest and CCRC all with their VS2008 integrations loaded. I removed all but RTC's integration and I can now check in using VS.

Whether there's a potential problem with people potentiually having more than one Rational product integrating to VS I don't know but I'm happy for the moment :D

David

permanent link
David Dulling (13731212) | answered Jul 16 '10, 9:40 a.m.
OK. Thanks

permanent link
Walter Mansur (63613017) | answered Jul 16 '10, 11:14 a.m.
Hi David,

I do have an update on this. What we do when we see this error come up is "Refresh Sandbox and Local Changes".

In the RTC Client for Visual Studio, in the Pending Changes View, there is a down arrow to the right of the Refresh button. If you click on that, the second choice is "Refresh Sandbox and Local Changes". Selecting that resolves the error you (and we) have seen and you can check in files.

-Walter

OK. Thanks

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 16 '10, 5:43 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
One process note:

When a workitem is marked as "triaged", it means that the development
team has looked reviewed the work item ... but it doesn't mean that they
are working on it, or that even that they are planning on working on it.
You can see if (and when) they are planning on working on it, by
looking at the "planned-for" field.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 7/16/2010 9:38 AM, wmansur wrote:
We also saw error messages like this and you may also want to look at
Work Item 111382. You can see that there is a lot of discussion
around this issue. When the user who reported this issue ran into
this, he just did an incremental "reload" and he was good
to go after that. The RTC development team does have this Work Item
in the "Triaged" state. So, they are looking into it.

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=111382

NOTE: The developers here only have Rational Team Concert (v2.0.0.2,
iFix2) on their workstations. So, we don't have the potential
"multiple Rational products integrating with VS on the same
PC" issue. I can see where that may cause an issue.

-Walter

daviddullingwrote:
Hi

I thought I'd try something today which has now resolved the
problem. On the machine I'm testing with I also had ClearCase,
ClearQuest and CCRC all with their VS2008 integrations loaded. I
removed all but RTC's integration and I can now check in using VS.

Whether there's a potential problem with people potentiually having
more than one Rational product integrating to VS I don't know but I'm
happy for the moment :D

David

permanent link
Yaron Norani (47267065) | answered Aug 15 '10, 9:59 a.m.
Hello,

Same problem with RTC2.0.0.2IFIX3 and Visual Studio 2005.
The refresh sandbox did not help.
Any other workaround?

Thanks,

Yaron

permanent link
Walter Mansur (63613017) | answered Aug 17 '10, 10:18 a.m.
Hi Yaron,

We are using RTC v2.0.0.2, iFix2 with Visual Studio 2008. Did you try the "Load" option method of loading your workspace? That may be a workaround. Sometimes, when we had this happen to us before, the workspace was actually marked as "out of sync" and there was a link to click on that would do an "Incremental load" of the workspace for us. I don't know if that option is available to you. So, you may have to essentially reload the workspace. That usually does not hurt anything, although you will need to "resolve" any "Unresolved Changes" before doing any type of load action.

Hope this helps and if you would like some background information on what we discovered for this issue, please feel free to read on about Work Item 111382 below.

Thanks,

- Walter

Now, a couple of things regarding Work Item 111382:

Geoff,

Thanks for pointing out what "Triaged" means. We have no idea of how the process is run at IBM Rational. We can make some assumptions, based on how RTC is packaged and deployed, but beyond that we really can't see inside their development process (and we really don't need to). All we need to know is that when we ask for assistance, IBM Rational is always available and willing to help.

Yaron,

When you look at Work Item 111382 that is mentioned here, you will see that it was opened in April of this year. There was a lot of activity on it for a few weeks, but since May there has been no activity. Well, there was no activity from the end of April until August 3rd, when someone at IBM Rational in Poland reported a similar issue. We did a lot of logging for a couple of weeks and captured a lot of messages for the IBM Rational team to look at. Looking at the comments in the Work Item, IBM Rational developers were looking at the logs, at least up until the end of April.

The particular user who was having the issue really "pushes the envelope" with the RTC Client for Visual Studio. I have asked him for a specific update on his experience since May regarding this issue. I work with him all of the time and he has not mentioned this particular issue to me lately.

We did upgrade to RTC v2.0.0.2, iFix2 in the time since the issue was originally reported. So, there is a possibility that this issue was fixed by the upgrade. If that is the case, I will let the IBM Rational team know and they can close the Work Item out accordingly.

Hello,

Same problem with RTC2.0.0.2IFIX3 and Visual Studio 2005.
The refresh sandbox did not help.
Any other workaround?

Thanks,

Yaron

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.