It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why is file history very slow with Visual Studio?

Eddie Breeveld (6112530) | asked Jan 08 '14, 8:19 a.m.
Using the Visual Studio 2010 plugin with RTC 4.0.4 why is it taking a very long time (4 minutes) to get the history for individual files (right click in the source code for a file and select "Show History")?  On monitoring the network connection in the Resource Monitor, I see that devenv,.exe (not scm.exe) is spending all this time communicating with the remote Jazz server (at about 1.5 Mbit/sec).  In other words it is transferring about 40 Mbytes of information to get the history for a 2 KByte file.  The history itself has only 8 versions!

Comments
Piotr Aniola commented Jan 09 '14, 5:49 a.m.

Is it only slow for Visual Studio, or also in the Eclipse Client?

Eddie Breeveld commented Jan 09 '14, 6:14 a.m. | edited Jan 09 '14, 6:20 a.m.

Testing one small file a few minutes ago (we have a very variable speed link to the Jazz server).  Opening the file in the relevant IDE and view the file history.  These were not done simultaneously however.
Eclipse: 34 Seconds
Visual Studio:  7 Minutes.

3 answers

permanent link
Prabodh Mairh (3812) | answered Jan 09 '14, 8:55 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Eclipse and VS client use different ways for accessing data, the VS client will be hit slightly more on a slower network.
But it is not expected to take this long for sure. We will require logs to investigate this. Can you please open a defect and attach the logs.

You can use this link for creating a bug against Rational Team Concert:
This link shows how to collect the error logs:
Please set the error level to verbose for collecting the logs.

Comments
Eddie Breeveld commented Jan 09 '14, 9:03 a.m.

Thanks for your reply.  Which operations are slower in VS?  All of them, or just some?

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered Jan 10 '14, 4:17 a.m.
Hi Eddie
    I'm not sure I agree with the answer posted above - that the VS Client will be hit more on a slower network. All Clients barring the Eclipse client use REST services to talk to the Jazz Server and while these are different from RPC, we've not really seen a different user experience for users of VS and Web and other non-Eclipse clients, as compared to Eclipse.

In any case 34 secs vs 7 minutes can't be for different APIs. I self-host on the VS Client, my server is in a different country, and I just tried to get the history of several source files. The longest was 15 secs, and all these files have quite long histories with several entries.

If this issue is reproducible, there must be something else going on, and to figure out what that is, we need to have the logs. Please follow the instructions in Prabodh's answer and log a defect on jazz.net, attaching your logs.

Are you by any chance using caching proxies in Eclipse?

Cheers
--Rupa
RTC Clients Team

Comments
Eddie Breeveld commented Jan 10 '14, 4:44 a.m.

No - we are avoiding using any proxies because they make RTC even slower (a different problem).  The very slow history issue is reproducible, but will probably improve when our slow network connections are upgraded.  When I get some time I'll log a defect for you.

Sreerupa Sen commented Jan 13 '14, 4:48 a.m.

Okay thanks Eddie. 

Cheers
--Rupa

permanent link
Pascal van Kempen (23226) | answered Mar 31 '15, 5:18 a.m.
During some performance checks, we also noted another difference between the VS plugin and the Eclipse client w.r.t. networking.

Visual studio uses the proxy settings from internet explorer, which might be different from the network routing of the rest of the system.

As a result, the performance of Visual Studio can differ seriously from the Eclipse client (e.g. via a proxy server or not)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.