It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Requirements Modeling?

michael garvin (116119) | asked Mar 05 '08, 1:02 p.m.
Hey, I'm trying to do "day in the life" kind of stuff while evaluating Jazz as a possible ALM tool for our company. Is there an existing (even in alpha readiness) plugin for Jazz that does user stories and stuff, and allows me to trace them to work items through to builds?

I read one of the Jazz presentations on exploring Agile requirements, and there are some screenshots that make it look like there is at least one plugin out there somewhere.

Please let me know if you know where I can find it, it would be very cool if I could show traceability from requirements into work items. Once a workitem is in Jazz the existing Jazz stuff seems very solid for tracing and auditing, but I need a way to inject requirements.

Thanks for any tips,

(^_^)/
mike.

3 answers

permanent link
michael garvin (116119) | answered Mar 05 '08, 1:16 p.m.
When I created my project I just accepted the Eclipse Way as the template, perhaps that template does not include user stories at work item types, but that item type is implemented in Jazz somewhere.

Is it possible for me to edit the process specification and just add a few lines that reference the appropriate Java resources to add the Story work item type?

For example, from the process specification I can see for "defect":

<type id="defect"
name="Defect"
category="com.ibm.team.workitem.workItemType"
dimmedicon="platform:/plugin/com.ibm.team.workitem.common/icons/obj16/wi_bug_dim.gif"
icon="platform:/plugin/com.ibm.team.workitem.common/icons/obj16/wi_bug.gif">
<alias name="bug"/>
</type>

What do I need to add for the Story type?

Thanks for any tips!

(^_^)/
mike.

permanent link
michael garvin (116119) | answered Mar 05 '08, 3:05 p.m.
After reading the release notes again, I followed the instructions in bug report 39355 to enable the story item. It seems to more or less work. I added a couple of child tasks, completed them by two different users and the progress updated appropriately...cool!

But..the Story item itself won't let me change the status to Resolved/Fixed...the two combo boxes at the top right of the Story item are greyed out, and I can't find anywhere else in the workbench, where I can update the story item itself.

I just want to close it off, I've completed the tasks, and the story itself is just requirement so I don't have any further work to do on it.

What do I do to close off the Story item as completed? Down the line, I would like to eventually close the loop by associating with a JUnit or other test that shows the story is working and deliverable. I presume work items can be associated with tests somehow (other than by pasting the test name/id into the work item description)

(^_^)/
mike.

permanent link
Pravesh Patel (37612615) | answered Mar 05 '08, 6:48 p.m.
Mike,

The bug report 39355 defines the User Story workitem type (as you discovered) as well as a workflow. If the boxes are greyed out, perhaps there is a typo somewhere in your process specification which is preventing the workflow binding to the new work item type?

I followed the notes in the above bug report and was able to transition the User Story from through it's defined workflow states.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.