It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problems using RQMExcelWordImporter

David Hanslip (23124448) | asked Jun 14 '10, 6:52 a.m.
Hi. I am having lots of problems with this importer. I'm attempting to import requirements from Excel.

The importer hangs 70-80% of attempted runs. There doesn't seem to be any logic to this except that I never seem to be able to export successfully twice in a row. Sometimes the same Excel and config files run, sometimes not. Other times the first couple of hundred rows are output as XML files but then the tool hangs. Only on 1 occasion was an exception thrown.

It took me hours manipulating the config file and terminating and restarting Excel before I was able to successfully import into RQM. I'm guessing certain fields, like "title", are required.

Why do some left sides of the equals sign include a semicolon? How do you you find out the correct field name? For example, in RTC, "Source ID" appears to be "tag". Should I use "tag" in the config file?

Does the export/import not handle custom fields? I have created a number of them and whether I include "dc:" before them in the config file or not, the fields do not appear in the requirement editor in RQM.

Thanks. Dave.

2 answers

permanent link
Michael Amirault (46) | answered Jun 16 '10, 12:03 p.m.
Hi. I am having lots of problems with this importer. I'm attempting to import requirements from Excel.

The importer hangs 70-80% of attempted runs. There doesn't seem to be any logic to this except that I never seem to be able to export successfully twice in a row. Sometimes the same Excel and config files run, sometimes not. Other times the first couple of hundred rows are output as XML files but then the tool hangs. Only on 1 occasion was an exception thrown.

It took me hours manipulating the config file and terminating and restarting Excel before I was able to successfully import into RQM. I'm guessing certain fields, like "title", are required.

Why do some left sides of the equals sign include a semicolon? How do you you find out the correct field name? For example, in RTC, "Source ID" appears to be "tag". Should I use "tag" in the config file?

Does the export/import not handle custom fields? I have created a number of them and whether I include "dc:" before them in the config file or not, the fields do not appear in the requirement editor in RQM.

Thanks. Dave.

Hi Dave,

So I recommend upgrading to the latest version of the Word/Excel Export Utility, I there were some known issues with exporting because of certain race conditions. Most if not all are fixed in 2.0.1 ifix 2: https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-quality-manager/releases/2.0.1iFix2/RQM-Extras-RQMExcelWordImporter-2.0.1-iFix2.zip

There are certain required fields for artifacts, for the most part they are just dc:title, and dc:description. The colon's you are wondering about as you see here associated with the dc are references to the namespaces involved with those specific attributes.

Lastly, custom fields are not supported yet.

Hope this helps!

-Mike

permanent link
David Hanslip (23124448) | answered Jun 16 '10, 7:15 p.m.
Thanks Mike.

I'm about to upgrade to iFix02. Just having to increase the disk size of my VM. The reason I'm trying out the importer is because the ReqPro integration only supports a standard set of fields. Any feel for when the importer might support custom fields? Is the problem with the export from Excel or with RQM? If the former, what format is required in the xml files?

RTC appears to have the ability to import work items from csv files. Does this support custom fields?

Regards, Dave.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.