It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

.NET Runtime Error. Event ID 1023

rich hellinger (161) | asked Jun 09 '10, 2:28 p.m.
(Sorry posted this in Announcements first...)

Running VS08 (9.0.30729.1 SP. Framework 3.5 SP1.) Large complex mixed-tech commercial web site.

Install RTC-VS-Client-2.0.0.2iFix3-Win32-Local.zip.

Open VS08 solution, double click any *.aspx file in the solution. VS08 aborts, no msgs, and is gone. Every time. Does not happen with other file types.

In Event Viewer can be seen the below error (see below). Every time. This is a pretty widely discussed error, but so far, no fixes that address RTC issues that we can find.

Uninstall RTC VS Client, problem goes away. Did this with previous versions of the VS Client. I was trying again with this release.

Can do this repeatedly with same results. Many things have been tried. Can get everything working except RTC VS Client.

Open to any ideas, meanwhile cannot use VS Client while others on team do. Thanks for any help.

***** Event Viewer error content: *************
Event Type: Error
Event Source: .NET Runtime
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1023
Date: 6/9/2010
Time: 2:10:57 PM

Computer: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Description:
.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3607 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A036050) (80131506)

5 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Jun 09 '10, 6:10 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
(Sorry posted this in Announcements first...)

Running VS08 (9.0.30729.1 SP. Framework 3.5 SP1.) Large complex mixed-tech commercial web site.

Install RTC-VS-Client-2.0.0.2iFix3-Win32-Local.zip.

Open VS08 solution, double click any *.aspx file in the solution. VS08 aborts, no msgs, and is gone. Every time. Does not happen with other file types.

In Event Viewer can be seen the below error (see below). Every time. This is a pretty widely discussed error, but so far, no fixes that address RTC issues that we can find.

Uninstall RTC VS Client, problem goes away. Did this with previous versions of the VS Client. I was trying again with this release.

Can do this repeatedly with same results. Many things have been tried. Can get everything working except RTC VS Client.

Open to any ideas, meanwhile cannot use VS Client while others on team do. Thanks for any help.

***** Event Viewer error content: *************
Event Type: Error
Event Source: .NET Runtime
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1023
Date: 6/9/2010
Time: 2:10:57 PM

Computer: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Description:
.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3607 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A036050) (80131506)

Hi Rich

Do you know if this has been logged as a defect? If it has - can you add this info to the defect so development have another example. If not, can you create it pls

thanks

anthony

permanent link
rich hellinger (161) | answered Jun 10 '10, 10:25 a.m.
Anthony, I'm going through our primary RTC person here who'll know about existing defect reports. Then will either add this info to existing or create a new one. I'll post follow-up here once this happens.
Do you know if this has been logged as a defect? If it has - can you add this info to the defect so development have another example. If not, can you create it pls
thanks
anthony
Thanks for your support,

// Rich

permanent link
rich hellinger (161) | answered Jun 10 '10, 4:30 p.m.
FYI, there are no defects currently open for this, per our RTC contact person.

However,due to time constraints and the age of this issue now, I am abandoning use of the RTC VS Client rather than attempt to address this through the defect process. We will use manual source control procedures instead.

I had hoped there would be some community activity around the RTC VS Client where this might be investigated. Personally I don't think the defect process will find something that is so specific to the real-world usage of the VS Client. And, in fact, we've had defects open on this in the past, on earlier versions and eventually they were closed as there was no repro (if I am recalling correctly, they were complex defect reports at the time).

Thanks again Anthony.

// Rich

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Jun 11 '10, 1:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

However,due to time constraints and the age of this issue now, I am abandoning use of the RTC VS Client rather than attempt to address this through the defect process. We will use manual source control procedures instead.

I had hoped there would be some community activity around the RTC VS Client where this might be investigated. Personally I don't think the defect process will find something that is so specific to the real-world usage of the VS Client. And, in fact, we've had defects open on this in the past, on earlier versions and eventually they were closed as there was no repro (if I am recalling correctly, they were complex defect reports at the time).

Thanks again Anthony.

// Rich

I wouldn't give up that easily....

I did find this discussion about a defect in VS that Microsoft has fixed:

http://blog-mstechnology.blogspot.com/2010/04/fatal-execution-engine-error-7a036050.html

It is hard to tell if RTC is inadvertently triggering a problem - but worth a look.

anthony

permanent link
rich hellinger (161) | answered Jun 11 '10, 2:45 p.m.

Thanks again Anthony.

// Rich

I wouldn't give up that easily....

I did find this discussion about a defect in VS that Microsoft has fixed:

http://blog-mstechnology.blogspot.com/2010/04/fatal-execution-engine-error-7a036050.html

It is hard to tell if RTC is inadvertently triggering a problem - but worth a look.

anthony

Anthony,

Thanks for the link. There is some interesting info there. We've picked apart most 1023 info out there. It is of course basically just .NET framework corruption, though, and the possible causes are myriad. Like many of the 1023 discussions, this one also is not quite our issue and not quite our environment. Tantalizingly close though, and we'll look further. (Just remember, if you can say that the DLLs can run side by side, then it is not "DLL Hell". Really. It's not.)

It is a thankless task to write developer tools! Developers install the most cr/\p and also are typically gifted at trashing their own machine, heh.

Merely installing all of our MS tools (no other vendor) is a challenge. We install all versions of VS since 6. And SQL Server 2005 and 2008. Just getting all those pieces on in the correct sequence, including service packs, is a pain. And the whole time Windows Update is screaming at you and shoving, heh heh. Too familiar to us all.

In this case, and I should've been more clear, we're more giving up on this one PC. This PC is in heavy dev use daily and we WISH we could drop everything and get it fixed up. But so far we've only been able to do running snipes at the problem then must hit the code again.

We have this exact same solution working with RTC VS Client on another PC, no problem.

So, it is merely not worth anyone's time to chase down this defect * on this PC *. This PC needs the ole "cattle prod" repair, heh heh. The Taser Reset, mebbe.

But that's why I was looking more for discussions than another defect pass. It is not worth the RTC Team's time to treat this as a defect (again) either. To me at least.

And, we have had this defect looked at, on an earlier version of RTC VS Client. We had a number of PCs with issues with this solution and some other complex solutions. All got resolved with the RTC Team's help (thanks there!). Except this one stubborn PC.

Oh, and I beta tested the RTC VS Client for my firm and have used all versions since. It is no more detestable than any other source code management / collaboration solution out there (ha ha, backwards compliment that).

I'll get back to this thread if I get to look into this further. Your link has indeed given me some fodder with which to cannon about.

// Rich

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.