It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I specify Include/Extend/Generalization relationship?

Gabriel van diepen (8662) | asked May 25 '10, 10:14 a.m.
I cannot find an option in creating use case diagrams to specify an Include, Extend or Generalization relationship between use cases.

9 answers

permanent link
Gabriel van diepen (8662) | answered May 27 '10, 8:26 a.m.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you right-click the connector there is an option to define (edit text) the association in the diagram. However, this will not change the connector itself. It only places the <Includes> text over the connector line. I assume the text option is there to allow for other relationship notations like stereotypes between actors and such.

Thank you for your response. In fact I already figured out about the possibility to add text, but I forgot to state that in my question.
You exactly described my problem, I have the possibility to indicate an <<Includes>> / <<Extends>> relationship, but I cannot add an arrow to the connector to indicate the direction of the relation (nor can I indicate a generalization).

I shall create an enhancement request.

permanent link
Gabriel van diepen (8662) | answered May 26 '10, 12:43 p.m.
I have the impression that above is not possible in Requirements Composer.
Could somebody from the Jazz development team please give an indication if this is to be realized in a future release of Requirements Composer and when?
I think that this is quite important for making more advanced use case diagrams.

permanent link
Gordon Popp (4611) | answered May 26 '10, 1:42 p.m.
I cannot find an option in creating use case diagrams to specify an Include, Extend or Generalization relationship between use cases.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you right-click the connector there is an option to define (edit text) the association in the diagram. However, this will not change the connector itself. It only places the <Includes> text over the connector line. I assume the text option is there to allow for other relationship notations like stereotypes between actors and such.

Maybe an enhancement request to default all new associations within a Use Case Model to a <Uses> relationship would clue users in on how/where to specifiy the correct relationship? (or would this promote bad modeling habits?)

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered May 27 '10, 9:11 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, please do open an enhancement request.

Daniel

permanent link
Cesar Ida (4222) | answered Sep 14 '10, 4:44 p.m.
Hi,

have you created this enhancement request? I have the same need and would like to vote on it.

Regards.
Cesar

Thank you for your response. In fact I already figured out about the possibility to add text, but I forgot to state that in my question.
You exactly described my problem, I have the possibility to indicate an <<Includes>> / <<Extends>> relationship, but I cannot add an arrow to the connector to indicate the direction of the relation (nor can I indicate a generalization).

I shall create an enhancement request.

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Sep 15 '10, 8:14 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is further discussion in the related enhancement work item 32454

Comments
Luiz Almeida commented Dec 12 '12, 9:47 a.m.

Daniel,

Will this enhancement be in future version? The link you posted above is wrong, so I can not visualize the discussion.

I am waiting this functionality for a long time. Does anybody opened the enhancement request?

Thank you...and sorry my bad english.

Jason Lee commented Feb 26 '13, 12:47 p.m.

It has been 2 major versions of RRC and 2 years -- do we have have any plan or timeline of when we can see this functionality?   IBM was one of the originators of the OMG / UML group -- why is the Use Case Diagram functionality lacking such significant Use Case Diagram needs?

permanent link
William Andreas (136) | answered Dec 12 '12, 10:44 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The following link should work:

https://jazz.net/jazz03/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/32454

permanent link
Nicolás Rodríguez (3142325) | answered Jan 23 '14, 8:17 a.m.
There is any update of this enhancement?

permanent link
Jason Lee (312) | answered Jan 24 '14, 10:19 a.m.
The latest update, which you got a response to on 32454 yesterday -- is that they are looking to roll this in with
60178 --

https://jazz.net/jazz03/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/60178

Which is a great idea to dump the editor plugin and rebuild the editor using HTML v5.

William stated "This year"...  fingers crossed!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.