It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Upgrading to RTCz from RTC

Benjamin Chodroff (8985231) | asked May 19 '10, 11:27 a.m.
Is it possible to migrate from RTC to RTCz? Can I simply export my database to a tar file, install RTCz, and import this database backup into RTCz and take advantage of all the new features? I am running RTC 2.0.0.2 iFix2

4 answers

permanent link
Bruce Green (30124) | answered May 19 '10, 2:59 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Is it possible to migrate from RTC to RTCz? Can I simply export my database to a tar file, install RTCz, and import this database backup into RTCz and take advantage of all the new features? I am running RTC 2.0.0.2 iFix2

The general answer is yes, you can do that. However, in your case, your RTC server is at 2.0.0.2 iFix2 and the latest RTCz version is 2.0.0.2 iFix1 (which is based on RTC 2.0.0.2 iFix1).

You really shoud migrate between like version levels or from RTC to a higher RTCz server version. Is this a production server or a sandbox / education system? If it's a sandbox/education system, you could install RTCz to a separate package group or use a zip install (preserving your RTC) and attempt the migration. The fix list for RTC 2002 iFix2 makes it look like this should probably be OK. If it's production, you really should follow the rule above.

Note also that RTCz has a specific RTCz client and that you'll need RTCz server activation and Client Access Licenses.

Thanks
Bruce Green

permanent link
Benjamin Chodroff (8985231) | answered May 19 '10, 3:17 p.m.

The general answer is yes, you can do that.

Excellent! I'll give it a shot :)

Note also that RTCz has a specific RTCz client and that you'll need RTCz server activation and Client Access Licenses.

Good point, and I assume I can mix and match RTC and RTCz floating developer licenses on the same box? Or does every user need to be RTCz developer... or something else?

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered May 19 '10, 4:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can mix and match RTC and RTCz clients and CAL's on the same box. There is some z specific functionality that will not be available if you use an RTC CAL while using an RTCz client..... and obviously the RTC client does not have the z functionality baked into.
Guy

permanent link
Bruce Green (30124) | answered May 19 '10, 5:39 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can mix and match RTC and RTCz clients and CAL's on the same box. There is some z specific functionality that will not be available if you use an RTC CAL while using an RTCz client..... and obviously the RTC client does not have the z functionality baked into.
Guy

Actually, you'll either have RTC CALs or RTCz CALs for a given server. It's the same for the Floating CALs as well. It does seem, however, that you could have RTC CALs and RTCz floating CALs on one server (or vice versa).

THanks
Bruce

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.