It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Components in a stream not visible to some users

Wendy Raschke (30111) | asked Jun 28 '16, 3:34 p.m.
edited Oct 05 '17, 11:38 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)

I am trying to help two users load source from a stream, and they cannot. They are not new users, and can access and load source from another stream. Important characteristics:

- Their user profiles show that their repository group is "JazzUsers"
- Their client access license is set to "Rational Team Concert - Developer-Flaoting - Unlocked"
- They are a member of the team area that owns the stream in question
- The stream ownership is that team area, and the visibility is the project area to which that team area belongs.

I've double-checked everything.

But when they expand <project area> > Source Control > <stream name>, they see nothing under there. No components. When they create a workspace that flows to this stream and try to load the components, they are not presented with anything. When they open up the stream in either the rich RTC client or the browser, under "Components" they see "No Components" and under "Flow Targets" they see "No Flow Targets."

Why can this be happening? Again, they can load and view other streams just fine. It just seems to be this particular stream. I have no problem seeing the components and loading code from them.

Comments
Wendy Raschke commented Jun 28 '16, 5:21 p.m. | edited Jul 01 '16, 12:30 a.m.

Okay, what made the difference was adding them to a completely different team that's underneath a complete different project area (on same repository server). Why would this be relevant? This really seems like a bug to me.

David Lafreniere commented Oct 05 '17, 11:41 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Without enough information provided, I can only assume that the other team area you moved them to was the actual owner of the components. See Geoffrey's answer for the details. If you do still think there is a bug, please raise a defect describing the issue.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 01 '16, 12:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Visibility (read access) to a component is determined by the component, not by the stream (although to see a component in a stream, you of course need read access to both the stream and the component).   Open the component in the Eclipse component editor, and you can see how its visibility is defined.   Based on what you describe in your comment, I assume that the component is visible to that other team area, so when you added them to that team area, you made the component visible to them.
David Lafreniere selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.