It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using the Importer with existing artifacts

Max Parker (1111) | asked May 17 '10, 5:11 a.m.
Hello

I have been using the Excel/Word import tools for some time now and they are great for creating a whole new heirarchy of test assets. But how about if I already have an existing test plan in my project and I want to import a bunch of test cases from Excel and attach them to this plan.

Or perhaps I have an existing Test Case and I want to import some TER's (and associated ER's) and attach them to the Test Case simultaneously.

Is this something I can do, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks
Max

2 answers

permanent link
mat zanchi (46173) | answered May 18 '10, 4:54 a.m.
Hi Max,

you have to use the URLUtility and update the parent object with the reference to the childs you have just imported.

To use the URLUtility see here:https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMURLUtility
It works with the XML files that you can generate with the excelImportTool, or better use the XML files that you can GET from RQM.

For example:
1. Import some TCs with the EXCEL file import
2. Get the ID of the imported TCs
3. GET with the URLUtility the XML of the Testplan you want to make parent of them
4. Update the Testplan XML with the references to the new childs
5. PUT the new XML in RQM with the URLUtility

Ciao!

Matteo

permanent link
Max Parker (1111) | answered May 18 '10, 5:00 a.m.
Thanks for that Matteo. I had sort of worked that out, but I was hoping it was possible through the import tool. It is a shame that it is not though. It takes away some of the value of that tool for me. Still a good tool though!
Thanks
Max

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.