It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Sync Stream Work Item email notifications every 10 minutes


Tim Mulligan (22633114) | asked Apr 19 '10, 5:20 p.m.
Does anyone know why the person who is 'owner' of the Work Item that is associated with a 'ClearCase Synchronization Stream' would start to receive email notifications every 10 minutes? (1) We have not yet enabled the schedule for this ClearCase Synchronization Stream. (2) no one has modified the Work Item or its parent Story work item. (3) we unsubscribed this person from the work item.
I looked at the System Log but could not find any tell tale messages indicating any reason why this would be happening.
Thanks in advance for any pointers or help you can offer.
Thanks,
Tim

6 answers



permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (29.5k23035) | answered Apr 20 '10, 8:21 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Tim,

I've never seen this behavior. Please open a trouble ticket with
support, so they can track down why this is happening. In particular,
you'll want to give them the exact text that they are getting in the
email, to help track down what change to the work item is generating
this email. Note: you can post that email here, in case someone on the
forum recognizes the format.

Cheers,
Geoff

timothy.mulligan wrote:
Does anyone know why the person who is 'owner' of the Work Item that
is associated with a 'ClearCase Synchronization Stream' would start
to receive email notifications every 10 minutes? (1) We have not yet
enabled the schedule for this ClearCase Synchronization Stream. (2)
no one has modified the Work Item or its parent Story work item. (3)
we unsubscribed this person from the work item.
I looked at the System Log but could not find any tell tale messages
indicating any reason why this would be happening.
Thanks in advance for any pointers or help you can offer.
Thanks,
Tim

permanent link
Tim Mulligan (22633114) | answered Apr 21 '10, 3:04 p.m.
Hi Geoff and thank you. I will open a PMR ticket with support. Meanwhile here is an example of one of the emails with names changed to protect the innocent :-). It appears someone legitimately modified the parent (story) of the work item (task) associated with the CC Sync stream but this then triggered the resending of same email notification every 10 minutes to the Owner and subscribers thereafter until we bounce RTC/Jazz or each person disables email notifications in their individual profiles. Note the different port numbers (8443, 443).


-----Original Message-----
From: Rational Team Concert
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 4:30 PM
To: Doe, John
Subject: Release engineering work

Web UI: https://lmmk576.xyz.com:443/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/13001

Id: 13001
Summary: Release engineering work
Team Area: PAS Team / PAS Project
Filed Against: Backlog
Status: Not Started


Foo, Mary <Mary> changed on Apr 19, 2010 at 3:32:04 PM ET:

Children Link:
added:
12996: Establish cc sync to vob:/ws_pasonline
(https://lmmk576.fmr.com:8443/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/12996)


You are receiving this mail because you are owner of this work item

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (29.5k23035) | answered Apr 22 '10, 2:25 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Nothing looks strange about that ... some info you'll probably need to
collect for support:

- Document that 12996 was a work item that you created, and set as the
"template" for your sync stream (I assume that's what you meant by
"associated"?)
- Include a copy of another of the messages, to document that they are
repeated copies of the same message (other than time sent).

If support has any trouble tracking this down, ask them to subscribe me
to the workitem that they create for development.

Cheers,
Geoff

timothy.mulligan wrote:
Hi Geoff and thank you. I will open a PMR ticket with support.
Meanwhile here is an example of one of the emails with names changed
to protect the innocent :-). It appears someone legitimately
modified the parent (story) of the work item (task) associated with
the CC Sync stream but this then triggered the resending of same
email notification every 10 minutes to the Owner and subscribers
thereafter until we bounce RTC/Jazz or each person disables email
notifications in their individual profiles. Note the different port
numbers (8443, 443).


-----Original Message-----
From: Rational Team Concert
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 4:30 PM
To: Doe, John
Subject: Release engineering work

Web UI:
https://lmmk576.xyz.com:443/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/13001

Id: 13001
Summary: Release engineering work
Team Area: PAS Team / PAS Project
Filed Against: Backlog
Status: Not Started


Foo, Mary <Mary> changed on Apr 19, 2010 at 3:32:04 PM ET:

Children Link:
added:
12996: Establish cc sync to vob:/ws_pasonline
(https://lmmk576.fmr.com:8443/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/12996)


You are receiving this mail because you are owner of this work
item

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (29.5k23035) | answered Apr 22 '10, 7:24 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Note for folks following this thread ... this has happened again to Tim
for work items that are unrelated to the cc synchronizer, so it is not a
cc synchronizer issue, but rather a general work item mail notification
issue. Support has been notified. Stay tuned (:-).

Cheers,
Geoff

Geoffrey Clemm wrote:
Nothing looks strange about that ... some info you'll probably need to
collect for support:

- Document that 12996 was a work item that you created, and set as the
"template" for your sync stream (I assume that's what you meant by
"associated"?)
- Include a copy of another of the messages, to document that they are
repeated copies of the same message (other than time sent).

If support has any trouble tracking this down, ask them to subscribe me
to the workitem that they create for development.

Cheers,
Geoff

timothy.mulligan wrote:
Hi Geoff and thank you. I will open a PMR ticket with support.
Meanwhile here is an example of one of the emails with names changed
to protect the innocent :-). It appears someone legitimately
modified the parent (story) of the work item (task) associated with
the CC Sync stream but this then triggered the resending of same
email notification every 10 minutes to the Owner and subscribers
thereafter until we bounce RTC/Jazz or each person disables email
notifications in their individual profiles. Note the different port
numbers (8443, 443).


-----Original Message-----
From: Rational Team Concert
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 4:30 PM
To: Doe, John
Subject: Release engineering work

Web UI:
https://lmmk576.xyz.com:443/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/13001


Id: 13001
Summary: Release engineering work
Team Area: PAS Team / PAS Project
Filed Against: Backlog
Status: Not Started


Foo, Mary <Mary> changed on Apr 19, 2010 at 3:32:04 PM ET:

Children Link:
added:
12996: Establish cc sync to vob:/ws_pasonline
(https://lmmk576.fmr.com:8443/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/12996)



You are receiving this mail because you are owner of this work
item

permanent link
Steve Seifert (111) | answered Aug 27 '12, 5:34 p.m.
Any updates?  I am experiencing the same issue with general WIs.  Emails are sent every 10min until the user opens the WI - then the emails stop.  We are using RTC 3.0.1.  The RTC admin (customer) thinks there is a configuration setting to adjust the repeat time.  Thank you.

permanent link
Hank Musielak (111) | answered Apr 26 '14, 10:26 p.m.
We have also out of the blue just experienced this problem on our production RTC instance. Some users started to receive recurring email notifications every 10 minutes (600 seconds config setting noted above in this thread) but nothing actually changed in the work item.

Is anyone aware of the root cause and preventative measures? We restarted RTC (WAS) and the issue for now has been cleared but we have no idea if and when it might occur again.

Thanks,

-Hank

Your answer


Register or to post your answer.