It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

expected database growth when versioning binary data

Michael Stadlbauer (631) | asked Aug 12 '11, 5:35 a.m.
Hello,
does anyone knows how the database size of an RTC database will be affected when uploading binary data sources. We are concerned about database growth. Will it be likely that each uploaded version consumes up the size of the file or is there some kind of delta-storing-procedures in place.
To be more precise, we plan to do some document storage in RTC and fear that the database size will grow by the document size of the document every time we load up a new version of it.

Can anybody share his thoughts about this with me?
Thanks in advance,
michl

6 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 15 '11, 12:05 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Michl,

there are no deltas for binaries as far as I know. This means binaries have a big footprint, I think this is true for every SCM system. However data is compressed on the server (advanced properties) based on several advanced server propertie settings. I haven't seen an exception for binaries.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 15 '11, 2:29 p.m.
ClearCase comes with both compressed and binary delta type managers for
binary files. But as Ralph says, RTC uses the "compression" approach to
decrease the data size of versioned binaries.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 8/15/2011 1:53 PM, rschoon wrote:
Hi Michl,

there are no deltas for binaries as far as I know. This means binaries
have a big footprint, I think this is true for every SCM system.
However data is compressed on the server (advanced properties) based
on several advanced server propertie settings. I haven't seen an
exception for binaries.

permanent link
Daniel martin (10122926) | answered Aug 15 '11, 4:06 p.m.
To avoid binaries being added to the RTC DB we have implemented a file limit of 10MB. I have never been a fan of using SCM tools to store binaries. With the increased availablity of tools like Nexus the need to store binaries in the SCM tool really has decreased. If you could some how segrate binaries and source into unique DB it might be ok, but combining binaries/source into a single DB is a recipe for trouble.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 16 '11, 2:39 a.m.
To avoid binaries being added to the RTC DB we have implemented a file limit of 10MB. I have never been a fan of using SCM tools to store binaries. With the increased availablity of tools like Nexus the need to store binaries in the SCM tool really has decreased. If you could some how segrate binaries and source into unique DB it might be ok, but combining binaries/source into a single DB is a recipe for trouble.

Hi Daniel,

I completely agree if we are talking about source code and binaries generated from source. However, there are a lot more files considered being "binaries" that are not generated from code. Documents, drawings, layouts, etc.

Also, sometimes there are binaries that are required where there is no source code available.

permanent link
Dmitry Karasik (1.8k11) | answered Aug 16 '11, 11:18 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Michl,

there are no deltas for binaries as far as I know. This means binaries have a big footprint, I think this is true for every SCM system. However data is compressed on the server (advanced properties) based on several advanced server propertie settings. I haven't seen an exception for binaries.

That's not true, SCM supports delta compression of files, including binary files. In fact 1 of the properties you can change in advanced properties is whether to enable or disable delta compression. If delta compression results in larger gains than other compression types it will be used to compress a given binary.

- Dmitry

permanent link
Michael Stadlbauer (631) | answered Aug 19 '11, 10:01 a.m.
Hello Everybody
that's quite a lot of information, thank you very much!
michl

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.