It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Repository File Security

Darren Cheng (6151) | asked Mar 02 '10, 8:45 a.m.
Hello,

Is it possible for two teams in RTC to share the same stream but work independently on two different files/folders within that stream in their repository workspaces?

E.g.

A stream in Jazz source control contains two folders in component X: TeamOneFolder and TeamTwoFolder.

There are two different teams: Team1 and Team2 configured in RTC. Each of the two teams are configured to use component X.

Is it possible to configure such that Team1 can only edit files in TeamOneFolder and Team2 can only edit files in TeamTwoFolder, either through access control or by hiding folders (i.e. Team2 cannot see TeamOneFolder in the repository files window)

Many thanks,
Darren

9 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Mar 02 '10, 10:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Darren,

the smallest unit I am aware of is a component. You can use to control that would be the precondition "Restrict who can deliver to the component(s) in a particular stream".

I don't know means to restrict on folder level.

Ralph

Hello,

Is it possible for two teams in RTC to share the same stream but work independently on two different files/folders within that stream in their repository workspaces?

E.g.

A stream in Jazz source control contains two folders in component X: TeamOneFolder and TeamTwoFolder.

There are two different teams: Team1 and Team2 configured in RTC. Each of the two teams are configured to use component X.

Is it possible to configure such that Team1 can only edit files in TeamOneFolder and Team2 can only edit files in TeamTwoFolder, either through access control or by hiding folders (i.e. Team2 cannot see TeamOneFolder in the repository files window)

Many thanks,
Darren

permanent link
Darren Cheng (6151) | answered Mar 03 '10, 6:24 a.m.
Thanks for your help Ralph, perhaps I'll try to put each folder into a component and do it that way :)

Cheers,
Darren

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Mar 03 '10, 6:44 a.m.
Hi Darren,

that might be an approach dependent on what you actually share.

For one, Eclipse projects are supposed to reside in exactly one component. There are advanced load scenarios, you could try.

Ralph

Thanks for your help Ralph, perhaps I'll try to put each folder into a component and do it that way :)

Cheers,
Darren

permanent link
david beaurpere (5685) | answered Mar 03 '10, 9:57 a.m.
my team had a similar requirement, what we did was to:
- setup a project area (including its hosted component(s) and resources ) for team A and restrict the ACL accordingly
- setup a project area for team B and restrict the ACL accordingly
- setup a project area accessible to everyone
- setup the stream in the public project area and add the components from the other 2 projects to the stream.

that way everyone can see the stream and act on it but, when creating workspace and such the users can only see and access the component(s) from the project areas they have access to.

users don't even have to connect to the restricted projects areas and the public project can become the sole access point to everything (SCM, plans, builds, ...)

permanent link
Darren Cheng (6151) | answered Mar 03 '10, 10:45 a.m.
Hi David,

Thanks for the help! Your setup sounds exactly like what we are trying to achieve :-)

Could you please expand a bit further on the access control list? Which part of RTC are they configured in?

Many Thanks,
Darren

permanent link
david beaurpere (5685) | answered Mar 03 '10, 11:12 a.m.
Maybe ACL isn't the right term.

Simply open the editor for the project area and add/remove people from the "member" section on the "overview" tab.

Hi David,
Could you please expand a bit further on the access control list? Which part of RTC are they configured in?
Darren

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Mar 03 '10, 12:13 p.m.
Just for completeness, there is also an Access Control tab on the project editor to restrict read access. see also http://jazz.net/library/video/54

Ralph

Maybe ACL isn't the right term.

Simply open the editor for the project area and add/remove people from the "member" section on the "overview" tab.

Hi David,
Darren

permanent link
david beaurpere (5685) | answered Mar 04 '10, 12:15 a.m.
oups, forgot about that :)
and yes, that's kind of important.

Just for completeness, there is also an Access Control tab on the project editor to restrict read access. see also http://jazz.net/library/video/54

permanent link
Darren Cheng (6151) | answered Mar 04 '10, 5:38 a.m.
Thank you both for the great tips :) I'll give it a shot and hopefully it should work :D

Many Thanks,
Darren

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.