It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Any plans for RRC Client support on Linux ?

Steve Arnold (28131511) | asked Dec 18 '09, 7:43 a.m.
Also, anyone know of any workarounds to get the client to work on Linux ?

Thanks

Steve

3 answers

permanent link
Stef van Dijk (2.0k179) | answered Dec 18 '09, 2:14 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks

Steve

I don't believe there are any immediate plans to support the client on Linux. There are currently some client dependencies on Windows so unfortunately there is no simple work-around to make it work on Linux today.
So artifact creation and some other tasks will need to be performed using the desktop client on Windows while viewing, reviewing, etc can be performed via the web client using a browser (IE or Firefox) from either Windows or Linux.

permanent link
Ian Mitchell (3611) | answered Jan 20 '10, 7:24 a.m.

Thanks

Steve

I don't believe there are any immediate plans to support the client on Linux. There are currently some client dependencies on Windows so unfortunately there is no simple work-around to make it work on Linux today.
So artifact creation and some other tasks will need to be performed using the desktop client on Windows while viewing, reviewing, etc can be performed via the web client using a browser (IE or Firefox) from either Windows or Linux.

I too was disappointed to discover no Linux rich client after the great one we got with RTC. It's not even as if you can 'get by' with the web client since there's no means to create or edit artefacts. I could accept a solution which limited the formats of artefact (eg no Word docs) which worked either in the Eclipse rich client or in the Web UI. (Although assuming OpenOffice or Symphony could be an option even for that.) For example, I'd be more than happy to have artefacts in RRC be more wiki/web-like than Word or ODF.

Ian J Mitchell

permanent link
Peter Verdon (61232) | answered Jan 20 '10, 8:04 a.m.
Another vote for Linux support - I don't have a Windows machine I could use. My team is maybe 60% Linux-as-primary-workstation; some of those also have a Windows machine, but by no means all. W're actively looking at branching out from RTC to other Rational tools; having no Linux version would be an inhibitor to this.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.